3.

I was walking down the main street of the mall, my bag on my shoulder and a shopping bag in my hand while texting with my other hand. I kept looking up every couple seconds to keep an eye on where I was going to make sure I wouldn't crash into anyone.

I had to get a few things for home and a girl has gotta eat when something in a shop window caught my attention.

Me.

There I was on a huge banner, posing in my underwear. There was no point rushing in to get a set or two as I owned plenty of lingerie. I stared at myself for a minute, just gawking. My long chocolate brown hair had loose curls cascading down my back, my brown eyes so clear and bright with my eyes lined in mascara and eye liner. My skin glowed, looking like it was glistening from the sun, slightly wet.

I saw that my belly piercing was airbrushed out this time and same with the tattoo on my shoulder.

Smiling to myself, or more like gloating, I went back to my phone, texting Amy this time, telling her that my posters were up.

I took a few more steps before another shop gained my attention and I walked in like I was in a trance, peeking at all the sparkling jewelry.

I usually treat myself every now and then, but I've already blown my budget this week.

I may get paid a kaboodle, but I know what it's like not to have money and I never want to go there again. I never want to struggle again. That's why I stick to modelling. I use to have a manager, but that sly bastard robbed me. Now I'm on my own, booking my own appointments.

"Can I help you?" A lady from behind the counter asked me. I turned to face her to see she was looking me up and down. She was done to the nines. Her white blouse was crisp and her makeup immaculate. Her hair done up in a professional looking messy bun and her fingers cladded in gold.

"I'm just looking." I told her before turning back to the closed off shelf with all the studded earrings.

I heard her click her tongue but ignored her. I didn't care if she was judging me because of how I dressed. The bootleg jeans and high heeled boots, the sheer and loose cotton vest or the black bra that was visibly seen especially at the back of my shirt. I deliberately looked a bit longer than turned on my heel, wanting to point out to the lady what one I wanted when I saw her look at me in disgust.

I frowned, unsure of her problem and without another word being mumbled, I stepped back and went to leave.

"Oh my god! Maya!" I heard and spun to the voice.

I saw another lady walk out to the counter, slightly excited to see me and it took a couple seconds to click who that woman was.

My face lit up then, surprised to see her. "Chelsea!" I greeted, heading back to the counter. "Long time no see. How have you been?"

Chelsea went around the counter and stopped in front of me. We went to school together and I was surprised to see her here. I hardly run in to any old school friends. I saw the small bump her hand rested on and arched an eyebrow.

"Congratulations!" I grinned wider at her.

"Thanks." She said warmly. "I've been good. Yourself?" We chatted for a couple minutes, quickly catching up on some missed time before she turned to the lady that was apparently disgusted in me. Now that lady was smiling sweetly, waiting patiently for us.

"Rachael, this is a VIP guest right here, give her whatever she wants, with a discount." Chelsea told the woman, Rachael. Rachael looked surprised and flicked her eyes back over me. "You don't know who she is, do you?"

"I'm sorry, but no."

After speaking with Chelsea, I realised how much I missed home as I listened to her accent.

It's hard coming across an Australian in America.

"Sorry about Rachael." Chelsea quickly apologised. "Rachael, this is Maya Stevens." Her voice low as she got closer to Rachael, whispering in to Rachael's ear.

Rachael's went wide as they darted back to me and I smirked a bit too smugly. Nodding her head, Rachael straightened her posture.

Chelsea said goodbye and disappeared and I turned back to Rachael.

"I'm so sorry." Rachael muttered. I went to open my mouth to say you should never judge a book by its cover, but instead, I told her I didn't want anything. I was too annoyed.

"Oh, but, you also have a discount too." Rachael tried to sell me and it wasn't going to work.

I shook my head and stepped back. "Sorry, but I don't feel comfortable buying anything while I'm being scrutinized." I told her blankly and left the store, leaving Rachael gasping and looking regretful. Just because I model for a big fancy company, just because I'm well known, doesn't mean I have to dress the part of a rich woman. I'm twenty two and I dress however I feel comfortable and what I'm wearing is highly comfortable.

I walked the next three blocks home, heading to my fancy apartment and once inside, I sighed in relief as soon as I sat down.

Taking my boots off and wiggling my toes, I picked up my phone and started to chat away with Amy again, texting her between everything else I needed to do.