Day One

King Phillip entered his sons' room, feeling the guilt. "Roman?" His voice was soft. He could see the Prince's lump on his bed, cuddled up in the blankets. "Roman, I wanted to say sorry."

The father walked across to the bed, kneeling down. "I know it seems like I don't care sometimes. I promise I do, it's just-" He paused. "Your mother: you remind me so much of her. I can hardly look at you for it." Phillip didn't even know if his son was listening. Nevertheless, he continued.

"Maybe, Roman- when King Deceit and Prince Virgil have gone- we can talk about these boys. I could let some of them sign up for possible suitors... And rehire Logan..."

Roman still didn't react. He hardly moved.

"Roman? I understand if you're mad at me. Roman?" The king went to put a hand on his sons back to feel only blankets. "Roman?" His voice froze.

He tore off the blankets to find pillows, blankets and a bit of clothing stuffed into a human form. Phillip stood up, heart cannoning to lower depths than ever before. He stumbled away, feeling hollow. Roman had finally gone.

It was awful.

Flashes of memories burst painfully across his mind. Roman holding a crayoned drawing of his father. Roman petting his pegasus foal. Roman turning thirteen. Roman standing with an impeccable posture. Roman.

Tears welled up as Phillip found himself backing out of the room. He then spun around clicking his fingers sharply. Guards appeared instantly.

"Order the Royal Guards to scourer the city! Leave no stone unturned! Find me my son..."

And the sunsetted on the first day of the siege.