The Kings' Decision

Roman bit greedily into the gooey, delicious cake. He hardly finished his mouthful before he took a long sip from his 'Fluff-a-chino'. The Prince ignored Logan's' disgusted sigh but noticed that Patton rubbed his advisor's' back slowly. Smiling to himself, he put down his drink.

"So, Pat." He began with a smile before noticing his friends attention was else where. Turning around the face the door of the bakery, he saw a familiar knight. "Joan!" He grinned happily. "Come join us!"

"Yeah, kiddo! I can get you a drink if you want!" Patton cried, warmly.

Joan coughed awkwardly. "Actually, I need Prince Roman - his father demands his presence. You two are welcome to accompany him."

Logan looked at Roman as if to ask what he's done now, which Roman replied with a shrug. He shoved the cake away but took his drink as he stood up, following the knight from the bakery with Pat and Logan in close pursuit.

"So... What did my dad want to talk about?" Roman asked, slightly nervous.

Joan shrugged but obviously knew with that sympathetic look on their face. "You'll find out when you get there."

.:*:.

The King's throne room was beautiful, just like the rest of the castle. Sunshine burst through the large windows and the banners that were hoisted up in the rafters were soft and glorious.

But the way Roman's' father sat upon his throne made everything about the room as threatening as the King's current scowl. "Roman, my only child..." He introduced to no one in particular as the man in question got closer. "You must be wondering why I called you here, correct?"

"Y-Yes father." Roman stood with a perfect posture, hoping it would make up for stumbling over his words. It didn't.

King Phillip narrowed his eyes at his son. "It isn't good news. It concerns your and the Realms' future."

"Yes, father." The hesitation crept into his voice and Roman wrung his hands together behind his back. "What is it, father?"

Phillip sighed, getting off his throne. The scowl was gone and replaced with regret. He walked down to Roman and hugged him. Before Roman even had time to register this, he pulled away. "Been studying, I hope?" He asked.

Confused at the change in conversation, Roman nodded.

"Good. Is everything going well? Anything you need to tell me?"

"No, father..."

"Good, my boy, good." His father hesitated, then took Roman's' wrist, leading him up to the throne. "Now, I have some very bad news that may... upset you..."

"Wait..." Roman looked at his father properly. "You're not ill, are you? Please don't be ill!"

Phillip chuckled, though there was a sadder undertone. "After what I tell you, you'll wish I was ill." And Roman's' heart sank lower. The king left him on the throne, moving to a window. "Now, you were to be coronated next month, weren't you?"

"Yes, father!" Roman's' spirits lifted when he heard about his coronation - he'd been planning so many things for it and couldn't wait to discuss the food with Patton.

"I've... decided to postpone it." The king stared out of the window remorsefully.

Roman felt his jaw drop. "What?"

"I'm postponing it. Until you can prove your responsibility as Prince of the Light Realm." The kings' voice grew cold.

Roman spluttered, "But father! I've waited for ages!"

"I know. but that doesn't improve your responsibility and priorities at all. Your coronation will occur when you have proven your worth and once you've managed to require a suitable wife. Wife, Roman!"

"Father," Roman was angry now. His coronation had been snatched away from him and now his father expected him to find a girl to marry! "I've told you a hundred times and I'll tell you a hundred times more! I like boys!"

"No, you don't!" The king shouted suddenly. Roman jumped, eyes wet with warm tears. As quickly as the fury arrived, it left, and Phillip continued calmly. "It's just a bit of confusion, Roman, all those hormones. You'll be better out of the other end and then you'll wonder why in the world you were so- obsessed with boys."

Roman just shook his head, quivering as a tear broke free and others followed it.

The kings' face broke as he watched his son cry. "Oh, Roman-" He began, reaching out for a hug before Roman pushed him away and ran. He ran from the throne room, into his bedroom and locked the door.

Lying against the wall, he pulled out his phone. Finding the group chat 'Gays in a Pan' (named by Patton), he clicked on it. Roman started to type in a text and sent it:

Princey: Guys, SOS

Dad: Kiddo? What's up?

Nerd: Roman? What is troubling you?

Nerd: Or, as you like to phrase it, are you 'Gucci'?

Princey: Just come to my room and I'll tell u

Princey: And  Lo, never try use my slang words

Princey: It doesn't look good on you

Dad: Don't be mean to Logan, now kiddo

Dad: On our way rn

Roman turned off his phone after that, waiting. Five minutes, he heard a loud knock.

"Kiddo? You in? It's me and Logan!"

"Actually, that would be 'Logan and I'."

Roman opened the door with a sad smirk at his friends.

"Awwwwe!" Patton clutched his heart sympathetically. "Kiddo, you've been crying! What happened?"

And Roman told them everything...

.:*:.

Straight after I posted Chapter one, another follows! Virgil will be in the next chapter (probably) (maybe) (hopefully)