Chapter Nine: Justice Has Been Served

Start from the beginning

I'm the bomb and I'm 'bout to blow up

Woowo wooo
Woowo woo (everybody singing now)..."

Upon his return to the house, (Y/n) panted heavily as he dragged himself to the living room sliding door and kicked off his shoes before going to the kitchen to retrieve refreshments before making off to his shared bedroom with Diana. Instead of finding her naked as hoped, (Y/n) found himself the occupant of the room with no sign of a princess lingering about. Instead of feeling disappointed, (Y/n) found a letter on the bed that he read aloud.

"Dearest, (Y/n),
My apologies that I have left you disappointed of my absence in the early stages of our holiday. But it has come to my attention there is a worldly threat lingering in the darkest reaches of the universe, which is why I have tasked myself with finding all that I can about the Dark One. Your brother visited as soon as you left and told me about strange creatures in Gotham; some that I believe are searching for something called the Mother Boxes - one of which is under secure protection on Themyscira - yet I fear an attack is imminent to retrieve the Boxes.

There is, however, one I recall who goes by the title, The End Of Worlds, more commonly known as Steppenwolf. He, and his army of Parademons - nightmare creatures who feed on fear - conquer worlds for what his master seeks. If he gets his hands on all three Mother Boxes and activates them, it could mean the end of the world. The tribes of Man, Atlantians and the Amazons sought to safekeep the Boxes but now I fear it could be too late. Steppenwolf will return. I love you, (Y/n), with all my heart. And I believe you are a most worthy ally to fight alongside, to the death, even, should we fail. I pray to Athena it will not come to that.

Yours always,
Diana"

(Y/n) let out a curse before making off to a secret elevator that would take him to the hidden Batcave underground. In haste, (Y/n) changed into his costume and boarded the single-seat jet and made off once the jet reached the surface. A three-beep noise caught (Y/n)'s attention as he pressed a button and was instantly connected to his caller, Alfred Pennyworth.

"Talk to me." (Y/n) requested so to be filled in on the details he missed out on as he chartered his course for his home city.

Gotham

There was relative peace in Gotham since crime plummeted as did the reign of the Joker and the mob who laid scattered. In Gotham Harbour, an abandoned facility laid under siege by hostile alien forces in search for the Mother Boxes. A crew of enhanced individuals Bruce managed to formulate - most of the members he discovered on the file he stole from Lex Luthor's archives - to find out the strange on goings on in Gotham. When the team reached the top of the flight of stairs to the centre of the hyperboloid cooling tower, each member leapt across the broken bridge towards the East Tunnel where they caught on to a room full of hostages.

"I grow tired of your silence. Where is the Mother box?" A deep, gravelly voice brooded in the room the heroes half-entered.

A hostage squirmed in the grip of the leader in chrome armour. "Please... we have families."

"Then you have weakness..."

There, Diana formulated a plan of attack with Bruce when the bravery of a hostage drew the leader's attention onto him. Steppenwolf could smell the scent of the Mother Box on him. The new recruit who was the brains of the team acted out of fear when he realised it was his father that was in the grip of Steppenwolf. The Cyborg fired two blasts before tackling his father out of the beast's grasp when Diana was forced to engage. Diana unsheathed her sword and attacked a gunman ordered to eliminate Cyborg when Steppenwolf recognised his competition.