forty-seven

W A K I N G  U P  S L O W
[piano version]
by
Gabrielle Aplin
"When I'm with you it's like everything glows."

─────

─────

The hours that passed after the fight blurred together. One hour meshed into another as Peter and Beth both limped away to find Happy.

There wasn't a moment to collapse— not until Happy found them a hotel. With an adjoining room for Peter and Beth. Happy was across the hall making calls to their family.

Peter swung them up through the window after Happy opened it. They stood inside the room not wanting to let go of each other. Because the simplest of touches reassured their minds that everything was real.

Beth rested her forehead against Peter's. Her eyes closed shut.

It was silent except for the sounds of their breathing. Beth knew that they needed to shower and change— take care of their wounds. And she needed to make sure Reyna was okay.

Beth leaned up. Pressing a gentle kiss against Peter's cheek. "I'll be right next door," she whispered. Opening her eyes she saw his staring back.

With one last look, Beth stepped back heading into the other room.

She didn't collapse until she shut the bathroom door and she was underneath the spray of warm water.

Her body curled up on itself. Beth's tears blended in with the water from the shower. Heavy sobs shook her body. She struggled to catch her breath.

After a few moments of breaking down from pure exhaustion, she stood up.

Beth's body ached as she scrubbed the blood and sweat off her skin. She could see a dark bruise on her ribs. Her fingers hovered over the injury before deciding not to poke and prod at it.

Her necklace that she still hasn't taken off started pulsing slightly. Beth turned off the water before stepping out of the shower. Waving her hand quickly as she dried herself off.

Removing the steam from the mirror she stared at the glowing necklace resting against her chest. Somehow watching the steady flicker of light coming from the crystal gave her comfort. A small piece of her mom was always there with her.

Beth's body began to heal— slowly, but it was healing at a quicker speed than others. She pulled on the jeans, shirt, and jacket that Happy had given her, saying it was from Maria Hill. Running her hands through her hair she stared at herself in the mirror.

From her red, swollen eyes. To the dark circles. Down to the bullet graze against her cheek. Beth let out a tired huff. The past couple of days were chaotic. But that was just the lives they lived.