forty-four

W H E N Y O U ' R E G O N E
by
Avril Lavigne
"When you're gone, the pieces of my heart are missin' you."

─────

─────

Beth didn't put up a fight when Mysterio knocked her unconscious. At least when everything faded into black it stopped hurting.

"Ice Princess," a voice echoed in her mind. "Wake up," it whispered. Beth's eyes shot open. There was nothing but darkness surrounding her. Fear shot through her bones.

She was alone.

"You're never alone." Beth turned to see a bright light. So bright she had to shield her eyes for a moment. Bringing down her hand she could see a silhouette.

At first, she didn't want to believe it. But when he spoke again she knew it was her dad. "You've gotta wake up, Beth."

She could feel tears slipping from her eyes again. Beth was so sick of crying. But hearing her dad's voice again— there was nothing to stop the tears from falling.

"Dad?" Her voice was shaky. The light seemed to shine brighter, "hey there Ice Princess." Beth's mouth tugged into a smile. She moved closer towards the light— until she was standing right in front of the silhouette.

She couldn't see him— couldn't see his face. But she knew with certainty it was him. "You've got to wake up," her dad whispered again. Beth shook her head. Her lips pressed together to swallow down a sob.

"But, I want to stay here, with you."

Her dad reached out with his hand— caressing her face, "I'm always here." His thumb swiped away her tears. "You have so much more to live for," he spoke softly.

Memories started pouring into her mind. Of dinners with her mom and her sister. Movie nights with MJ. Dates with Peter. All the people in her life that kept her going.

Beth's eyes shut as she watched the scenes play out in her mind. "You have to fight, for them— for me. For you." She inhaled shakily, she knew what she had to do. Didn't mean her heart didn't ache with tremendous pain. "Will, I ever see you again?"

Her eyes opened to stare at her father's silhouette. Beth couldn't see his face but she knew he was giving her a sad smile. "Not for a very long time— so I expect some good stories, young lady." Beth choked out a laugh.

"I love you, dad."

Her dad's arms wrapped around her. Pulling her into his embrace. One last time.

Beth held onto him. Not ready to say goodbye. "I love you too and I am so proud of you." Beth smiled against his chest. When he pulled away the light around him started to dim out. And for a second she could see his face.