thirty-eight

C A S T L E
by
Halsey
"They wanna make me their queen."

─────

─────

Peter walked back down to the lobby in silence, his footsteps were quiet but he could feel his classmate's eyes on him. MJ sat on the stairs, keeping her mouth shut. Her eyes were glossy and she fiddled with her hands anxiously. MJ hadn't heard much of the conversation but she heard Beth's outburst. So many questions ran through her head.

Brad was the first to break the silence, "is she okay?" Peter looked towards him, his eyes— glassy. "Uh, yeah, yeah. She's just resting." MJ glanced at him, both of them sharing a solemn look before Peter walked off to the back of the room to call Aunt May.

"Buzzfeed says it's a sailor named Morris Bench who was exposed to an experimental underwater generator and got hydro powers."

Flash walked across the room, reading off an article of Buzzfeed from his phone. Ned and Betty were both researching what the monster was and if there was any news about what happened today. MJ put her sarcastic facade to hide her inner worries about Beth. 

"Yeah, you should definitely listen to everything you read on the internet." 

Flash gave her a side-eye, turning towards the small screen on the wall. Muttering under his breath, "Spider-man can take him." 

Mr. Harrington and Mr. Dell both stood away from the students, watching the screen while leaning against the wall. "What do you think it is?" Mr. Harrington spoke to the other teacher. They both watched the newsfeed of a portion of the attack of the hydro monster. 

"You know being a man of science... witches." 

-❆-

Peter stood towards the back of the room as the rest of his class watched the news. His phone brought up to his ear as he called his Aunt. "No, no, no. We want to stay, I want to stay." Peter spoke speedily. 

"It's a good thing I packed your suit, huh. Can't believe you forgot it." 

Peter pursed his lips muttering a small 'yeah' in reply. "So who was that guy you were with, was that Mr. Strange?" Peter scrunched his eyes shut as he corrected her, "Dr. Strange, May. Doctor Strange. And, um, no it's a new guy. I tried to help-" He trailed off as he heard May speak someone on the other end of the line. 

"Happy's there?"

On the other end of the line, Happy was motioning for May to drop it. But May kept speaking as Peter made a funny look on his end. Aunt May moved over towards him, "and he wanted to say hi." Happy held back a groan as he spoke, "Hey Peter."