forty-nine

Beth's jaw dropped, "Oh shit."

A flood of people swarmed around her. Multiple hands reached through the crowd touching her. She shied away from them, trying to push her way out of the crowd.

Peter immediately jumped into the fray when he heard her yelp. Someone had reached out and tugged at a chunk of her hair. "Woah, woah, woah, please don't touch her, sir."

"You murdered Mysterio?"

"You're just a kid?"

"Then who's Frostbite?"

"Isn't Stark's daughter dating Peter Parker?"

"Let's see both of your faces," a woman barged through trying to unmask them.

Beth pressed close to Peter, wrapping her arms around his shoulders. "We need to get out of here," she said quietly, knowing he could hear her. Peter took that as their cue to escape.

Peter launched them into the air. Beth figured it was best she just hung onto him so they both didn't get split up.

Every jumbotron they passed had Peter's face on it. "Oh God," Beth said under her breath.

"Where should we go?" He asked her. His voice was high-pitched and frantic.

"I don't know," she yelled back over the wind.

"Back to the lake house?"

"No, Morgan's there and it's too far."

"Maybe we should just take a jet somewhere. I heard Wakanda is nice this time of year."

"Running away will only make us seem guilty!"

"But I'm not guilty!"

"I know that, but the public doesn't think so right now!"

They bickered back and forth before landing on the top of a bridge, Beth pulled her phone out of a hidden pocket of her suit. Behind her, Peter was talking to Ned.

MJ picked up on the first ring. "So I'm not seeing things," her friend stated. Beth ran her hand through her hair, "this is bad, this is really, really bad."

Reyna popped her head into the frame, "are you guys okay? You should get somewhere safe, they've got a bunch of helicopters after you. It's all over the news."

Beth looked around, they were surrounded by news helicopters. People rushed to their balconies to get even a glance at them. "Yeah, I'll call you guys once we're settled somewhere."

Peter had just hung up the phone with Ned when he turned to her. "We should go," he said.

Beth wrapped her arms around him once again and they fell off the bridge. "Let's take the subway," she suggested.

Inside the subway, there was barely any light. All she heard was the subway horn and something narrowly missing their bodies as they swung past. Beth thinks that's the worst idea she's ever had when they climb out of the subway through a sewer grate.

Somehow they manage to make it to Peter's apartment. Crawling through the window into his bedroom. Beth's suit retracted from her body, her hair changing back to its normal color.

Peter ripped his mask off his face and was frantically trying to get off his suit. "Peter, calm down," she walked over, stopping him from ripping his arms out of his suit.

"Oh God," he was in panic mode.

"Peter."

"I don't know what to do," he was starting to hyperventilate.