thirty-five

B E S T P A R T O F M E
BY
ED SHEERAN
"Why the hell does she love me?
When she can have anyone else."

─────

─────

That night Beth laid wide awake in her bed. Morgan was cuddled against her side, clinging to her like a koala. After Beth wandered onto the top of the Avenger's tower during one of her blackouts, Pepper had taken more time off to watch over her.

Regaining the lost time with her daughter who blipped for five years. Beth and Morgan bonded so naturally. Pepper smiled every time Morgan dragged Beth out the house to play with her outside.

Beth's eyes wandered the ceiling of the room. From the golden stars, she painted on the ceiling, to the pictures she had decorated her room with. She had pictures of her and her dad when she was younger.

There were multiple pictures of Peter and her scattered on the walls, from polaroids to framed pictures. Beth had a picture of her and Liz and another with MJ.

Her eyes rested on the suitcase in the corner of the room. Only a few more hours and she'd be on a plane to Europe. Two weeks to leave her troubles behind her. Two weeks to forget all the problems in her life. Two weeks and then she'd need to figure out how to fix her. Beth's eyes moved down to her wrists.

She could see the black veins peaking through the sleeve of her sweater that she wore to bed. Her chest ached, reminding her of the black veins that had moved to cover her chest. No one knows about them. Not her mom, not MJ, not even Peter. It was her secret that she's kept from everyone.

Beth's mind never told her to tell anyone. It was always to keep it to herself, let her wither in pain alone. To keep it hidden that her body was failing her.

No one could know. No one could know. No one could know.

With those words being chanted in her head, she fell asleep.

-❆-

"I call driving to the airport!"

Beth ran down the stairs, keys in one hand and suitcase in the other. Pepper and Morgan were putting on their shoes when Beth came barrelling down the staircase. Pepper smiled at Beth's happy mood as they all headed for the car. Buckling Morgan into her car seat in the back, before sitting next to her eldest daughter in the passenger seat.

Beth did her usually car check, going over it twice before driving off. Pepper relaxed in her seat, Beth showing her time and time again she was safe when driving.

"You have your bracelets?"

Beth sighed as the came to a stop at a red light. Everyone else thought that she just didn't want to use her powers. Not that she found a way to suppress them. "Yeah, I always have them."