forty-six

R E S C U E
by
Lauren Daigle
"I will send out an army
To find You in the middle of the darkest night
It's true, I will rescue you."

─────

─────

Beth's heart beat like the sound of war drums. Her feet hit the chaos covered ground swiftly— sprinting through the destructed paths of London.

Beth didn't remember much after she opened the vault doors.

She remembered the shocked look on MJ's face when their eyes met. Beth's eyes adding a soft glow to the room. Happy had stared at her with a proud smile on his face but she could see he was also relieved.

Ned had a hand pressed to his chest to calm his racing heart. Giving her a nod of his head in appreciation as he slowed his breathing.

And Flash... Well, he had stared at her wide-eyed and jaw dropped. Then his phone tumbled from his hands as he passed out. Happy had caught him before his head smashed into the ground.

She remembered stepping out of the vault for a moment with MJ and Happy. Her words rushed as she was anxious to take down Quentin.

Beth had pointed to Reyna— telling them to make sure she was okay until she came back. Beth had already taken a few steps towards the exit when she heard what Happy said.

"He's alive."

Those two words were all it took for her to start sprinting as fast as she could back to the bridge.

The area looked deserted. Except for the drones— and just her luck, they were shooting everything that moved. Beth hadn't even made it to the bridge when a swarm of drones unleashed rounds of bullets at her.

Beth's hands flew up. A dome of ice forming around her. Her hands were outstretched— straining against the attacks of the drones. More had found their way over to her, firing without a thought.

Beth could hear the constant thud of each bullet hitting the ice. Her hands were trembling. Fear took over her mind. She felt trapped— if she let down this barrier of ice she could try to fight her way out but a bullet could find its way to her head.

Light cast into the dome. A bullet thudded against the ground.

Beth moved her arm. Ice mended over the small hole that broke through. But soon enough more and more bullets shot through.

Beth's arms moved mechanically— trying to cover up each hole before another was made. Her head spun as she whipped around trying to protect herself.

A burning pain ripped across her face causing her to drop one arm. Beth seethed through her teeth as she brought her hand to her cheek. Shaky fingers hovered over the bullet graze that cut across her cheekbone.