thirteen

"It looked so insane, the whole- like it was crazy. He was like- and you were like ah! And I just hit him with a thwip, it was so. Oh my god." Beth smiled at Ned as he kept retelling them the story of how he saved them, "you saved us." Peter said to him, "it was awesome."

Beth stopped in her tracks as she saw Liz hug one of her friend's goodbye. Peter placed a hand on her back and slowly pushed her forwards. 

"Liz?" She looked at her before looking away wiping her tears, "Liz, look at me. Okay, I am so sorry." Liz stared at her, "you say that a lot what are you sorry for this time?" 

Beth stayed silent.

"The dance?" 

Beth sighed, "yeah, but I mean your dad. I can't imagine what you're going through. If there's anything I can do to help." 

Liz sighed, "I guess we're moving to Oregon. Mom says it's nice there so that's cool. Anyways, dad doesn't want us here during the trial so..." She trailed off. 

Beth frowned, "Liz, I just hope you know I never meant to hurt you." She took Liz's hand in hers, Liz felt her hand turn colder. Beth gave her a small smile before walking back to Peter, as Liz left the building she looked down at her hand. And saw that ice covered it, in the shape of a snowflake. 

Peter and Beth made their way to the Decathlon meeting in the library, "congratulations Decathlon national champions." Beth sat next to Peter as everyone gave a round of applause. "I'm gonna have to put this back in the trophy case soon, but just for motivation right now at this practice." 

Beth smiled at Mj who gave was staring at her from across the table, "we're going to make a vote. We're down by one person so we have someone who just came into school later than us she wasn't able to join the team, but if we have a majority vote of yes we'll welcome our new member." 

Mr. Harrington looked towards Beth, "all in favor of Bethany joining the team raise your hand." Michelle's hand shot up first, then Peter's who gave her a smile, Ned followed after them and so did the rest of the team. "That settles it, welcome to the team Bethany." She smiled as they clapped for her, Peter gave her a quick kiss on her temple.

"I know I'm thinking ahead but we will need a new team captain next year," Beth looked down as she remembered her best friend left. Peter gave her a reassuring squeeze of her hand under the table, she lifted her head up putting on a small smile. "So I am appointing Michelle," Beth smiled letting go of Peter's hand to clap for her friend. 

"Uh, thank you. My-my friends call me Mj," Michelle looked at Beth giving her a small smile which she returned. Peter and Beth's phones buzzed at the same time, Beth looked down at her phone seeing a text from Tony. She looked up towards Mj, "uh, we have to go. You can go to my apartment after you finish here." Michelle nodding waving goodbye as they both left, Peter and Beth went their separate ways. Peter went to go meet up with Happy while Beth was going to see Tony before him.

She sat in the car that he sent for her, going upstate to the new building. As she walked in there stood Pepper and Tony, "hi." She walked over and hugged them both, Pepper pulled away. "We have a surprise for you," opening her binder she pulled out a bunch of papers. 

They were adoption papers.

Bethany's eyes filled with tears as she looked at them both, "welcome to the family." She let out a small sob, rushing over and hugging him tightly. "I love you, Beth." Bethany sighed, "I love you too." 

They both turned as they saw Happy and Peter walk in, "there they are." They both walked over, "give me a minute with the kids." Tony mumbled to Happy, "seriously?"