thirty-three

S H E  U S E D  T O  B E  M I N E
BY
SARA BAREILLES
"She is broken and won't ask for help."

─────

─────

5 stages of grief.

They say people go through these five stages when something traumatic happens. Beth was feeling them all at once.

Denial.

Peter knew before anyone else that something was wrong. He could see it in her eyes, in the way she held herself. She could see the fake smile she kept plastered on her face. 

He knew when he looked into her eyes that something was wrong. It was like that day they fought Thanos and his army, the day she watched her dad die in front of her; a piece of her sanity detached itself from her mind. 

-❆-

Beth had just finished another day of school. It was just a routine for her. Wake up, go to school, go home, sleep. A cycle that she followed daily. 

With the shrill sound of the bell, her hands were gripped on her bag as she rushed out of class. It was Friday, every Friday her dad would come to pick her up to take her to the facility. So she waited in front of the building, watching as other students left to go home. 

A few minutes later, Peter walked out of the front of the school, his eyes scanning for Beth. They had a Decathlon meeting and she was twenty minutes late. 

MJ had sent him as Mr. Harrington wouldn't let her leave the meeting. Peter's eyes locked onto his girlfriend figure as she stood in front of the school. Her eyes scanning the empty car pickup line as she waited.

"Beth!" 

Her blue eyes met his as she whirled around. Peter rushed down the steps so he was standing in front of her, "what are you doing? We have a meeting today." Beth looked over her shoulder towards the road, "oh I forgot. My dad was going to pick me up today, let me call him. Tell him to pick me up later." 

Peter's body tensed at her words, "Beth, what do you mean?" Beth turned back to him a confused look on her face, her phone already in her hand. 

"It's Friday. My dad takes me back to the compound for the weekend." His hands caressed her face softly, "Beth, you feeling okay?" Beth nuzzled her head against his hand, "yeah, I'm fine. What are you worried about?" 

Peter inhaled sharply, his heart-breaking for her. This was the third time that she's forgotten what happened. Each time he had to explain to her, he could see the confusion on her face, then the realization. 

Peter squeezed his eyes shut for a moment, "Beth, the compound was destroyed. Mr. Stark, he's- he's gone. He saved us from Thanos. Remember?" Beth pulled away from Peter, her eyes wide in confusion. Why would Peter say that to her? It wasn't funny.