nine

Frostbite - Nine

Beth jolted awake while hyperventilating, "Beth, Beth. It's okay." She felt the pressure on her legs from all the boxes on top of her, in a state of panic she tried pulling herself out only causing the metal to dig into her legs deeper. She cried out as it started drawing blood, tears fell out of her eyes as her chest tightened and she found it harder to breathe. "Get it off of me, please." She cried out hitting the boxes, Peter rushed over lifting the boxes off of her. 

Beth cried out scooching back, her legs finally being freed from underneath of the boxes. She still couldn't breathe, it felt like she was running a marathon. Her thoughts wandering back to what she saw when she was unconscious, her hand slammed against the wall. Peter looked around as ice crawled around the wall of the storage container.

"Hey, hey, hey. Beth, it's okay. It's okay, look at me. Just look at me." Her eyes raised off the floor staring at him as he slowly moved closer to her, "it's okay. Whatever you saw, that doesn't matter right now. You're here with me." He reached out his hand towards her, Beth's breathing started to slow and the ice started melting.

"You're okay," Beth nodded taking his hand and he pulled her into his chest. Her breathing went back to normal as she just cuddled up against his chest, he looked down at her. "You okay, now?" She nodded at him.

"Alright, come here." He wrapped her arm around him and helped her out of the truck. "Where are we?" She asked as he laid her on another one of the storage containers. "Damage Control Storage," he said sitting down next to her. He turned to her connecting their eyes, after a few seconds Beth looked away awkwardly. 

She groaned as she sat herself up higher, "you know we're going to have to talk about it." Peter mumbled to her, "I was just trying to save you." 

She couldn't see it but Peter's expression fell, "oh." He turned towards her, taking off his mask. Her doing the same, "are you sure?" She looked away, she felt his finger's under his chin turning her to face him. 

He slowly started to lean in, Beth leaned closer and connected their lips. Peter took in a sharp breath, moving closer to her. She wrapped his arms around his shoulders while his arms were around her waist. 

Beth pulled away slowly, resting her forehead against his. "Wow," Peter whispered. She let out a small smile, "I've waited a while to do that for a while." She smiled placing another soft kiss on his lips, "go find us a way out, Spider-baby."

"Crap, Beth the glowy thing's a bomb." Beth went into another state of panic grabbing her phone and dialing Liz's number, "hey, I'm away from my phone but leave a message and I'll get back to you when I can."

Beth cursed dialing Mj's number, "hello?" Beth let out a sigh of relief, "Mj where are-" Beth was cut off by her worried friend, "where the hell have you been? You promised me and Liz that you would be there." Beth fumbled for words, "look, I'm sorry." Mj laughed, "yeah you better be sorry. Do you know how worried Liz and I were when you didn't show up? And then Peter doesn't show up either." Her voice started cutting out, "Mj! Hey, are you still there?" The call went blank, Beth let out a groan in frustration but then the doors started opening. 

After 247 tries Peter got the door open, he swung over to Beth. She put her arms around his shoulders and he swung them out, they hopped from car to car trying to get to Ned as fast as they can. 

She put her mask back on, using her powers she used the water to carry her there. She saw the Washington Monument and some bricks started to fall. "Peter go through the top, I'll help down here." He nodded and started to climb through the top, Beth used the ice to form a brace around her legs to keep her on her feet. "My friends are up there!" Michelle yelled to her but she didn't know it was her, Beth turned towards the girl. "Don't worry, we'll get them out. Stay out here and stay safe." 

She walked as fast as she could, ushering everyone out of the building. "Beth, I need you to hold the elevator from underneath. Our friends are still inside it." She pried the elevator doors open, "got it."

Using one of her hands she boosted herself up to the elevator, she froze the elevator in place. She grunted as the ice broke and the elevator fell onto her, "Peter!" She cried through the comms, "sorry, I'm helping. I'm helping." She felt some of the weight lifted off of her but then she heard a creak and the elevator started falling.

She froze the wheels of the elevator, slowing it down and then it stopped. "I did it," she heard Peter mumble through her mask. Then she heard the breaking of glass and the elevator continued to fall, "keep them away from the walls." She froze the walls of the elevator stopping it from falling and once she felt all the people out she made her way back to the ground. 

She heard the sound of metal creaking above her, "Beth, get out of there." She completely unfroze all of the ice so she was freefalling down the elevator shaft trying to escape being crushed. At the last second she caught herself with some water and dove out of the elevator just as the elevator hit the floor level. Dust and debris flying out, Beth coughed before standing up. 

"Beth? Are you okay?" She let out an anxious laugh, "yeah, thanks for the heads up."

The bus ride home Liz and Michelle ignored her, and she understood that. She should've been there for them but they were too busy trapped inside one of the most secure warehouses. Peter who was asleep against the window groaned as she got up, her place in his arms now feeling lonely. "I'll be back," he gave her a small nod before adjusting back against the window. 

Beth made her way over to where Liz and Michelle were sat, "look, I'm sorry. I should have been there and I wasn't." They didn't say anything but continued to avoid her gaze, "I get why you're mad at me just know that I love you guys, okay." She got up to leave but Liz grabbed her hand and pulled her between the two of them, "I was so worried." Michelle whispered to her, "I'm sorry." 

After a while, Beth pulled away so that she could go back to Peter. She sat down and Peter immediately put his arms around her, she leaned her head on his chest. He looked down rubbing his thumb over the cut on her cheek that looked like it needed stitches when they got back home. "I'm fine, Pete." He nodded pulling her closer until they fell asleep. 

When they awoke they were back at the school, Beth grabbed her bag rushing off the bus hoping to see Tony but she didn't. She watched as all her friends reunited with their family and Beth stood there alone, "Beth!" Her eyes snapped up as she saw Pepper running towards her, Beth smiled running into her arms. 

"Are you okay?" Beth nodded hugging her tighter, "Tony tried to be here, he's on the plane back here right now." Beth's smile widened, Pepper rubbed her back before pulling back. "Don't scare me like that," Beth laughed. "I'm sorry," Pepper smiled at her. "You did good, though, I saw the news." Beth smiled proudly at her, "alright go back to the Parker's. I'll see you soon, okay." Beth nodded and waved goodbye to her before running back over to Peter who wrapped her into a hug and placed a kiss on the top of her head.

May looked back and forth between the two of them where they both just smiled shyly at her, "don't make me regret letting you two sleep in the same room." Peter's eyes widened, "May!" Beth laughed into his shoulder while hiding her blushing cheeks, "okay, okay. Sorry just don't do it and if you do be protected." Peter's whole face turned red as he started walking to the car, "oh my god."