forty-two

A P P R E C I A T E D
by
Rixton
"
Cause it's you, who, takes care of everyone else
You, need to allow me to help
You are appreciated.
"

─────

─────

"So it's over?" Maria asked as they filed out of their car. Heading towards the three teens. Mysterio managed to stumble over— kneeling down once he was closer to them. 

"That was the last of them," Quentin spoke in response to Maria. Nick Fury strode over towards them, "but not the last threat we'll ever face. We need to stay vigilant." 

His one eye turned to Mysterio, "there's a void in this world for someone like you." He paused, "Hill and I are going to Europol headquarters in Berlin tomorrow. You should join us." 

Beth tried to hide the scowl that made its way onto her face. Not wanting to be anywhere Fury after what he said to them. Her hand gripping Peter's tightly— her thumb running over his gloved hand. 

Mysterio pushed himself to his feet, "thank you, I might just take you up on that."

Beth rolled out of Peter's lap. Using her hands to try to heave herself onto her feet. Her entire body ached— flashes of pain rolling over her bones. 

Reyna and Peter each held onto one of her arms. Letting her push herself up with their help. She uttered a soft, "thanks." Nick Fury turned towards them— his attention on Peter.

Silently, he was telling Beth and Reyna to scram for a moment. Beth turned to Peter, "after, I need to talk to you." Peter nodded his head— letting go of her arm. 

Reyna shuffled along with her towards a building. Beth leaning her back against the structure. She didn't comment on how Reyna took her far enough to not lunge at Fury while he talked to Peter. 

Reyna blew some hair out of her face. "So..." She trailed off, trying to decide what to say. "You used your powers," it wasn't a question. Beth's eyes looked towards the ice that encased the base of the Ferris wheel. It was melting slightly from the fire that covered the area. 

Beth didn't remember what happened towards the end of the fight. She only remembered feeling extremely exhausted before her head hit the ground. 

"Did I hurt anyone?" Her voice trembled. She was terrified of the answer. Reyna moved closer to her, pointing to the last standing ride. 

"Do you see those people there? They're safe. And that little boy is safe because of you. You didn't hurt anyone and you won't. You don't have to be so scared of your powers."

Beth's glazy eyes looked to the people on the Ferris wheel. She saw Ned and Betty sitting there— a little shaken up but safe; alive. Betty was looking away and Ned caught Beth looking at them, giving her a thumbs up.