forty

L A Y M E D O W N
by
Sam Smith
"You told me not to cry when you were gone.
But the feeling's overwhelming, it's much too strong."

─────

─────

Beth had opted to sit in the free seat on the opposite side of the aisle. She was able to lay back comfortably— her eyes threatening to close.

Beth had just laid her head against the window, using one of her spare jackets as a pillow. Her mind just began to doze off when she felt someone sit down next to her. Biting back her annoyance of being interrupted while she was trying to sleep, she opened her eyes.

Brad sat next to her— giving her an apologetic look for waking her up. Beth sat up straighter, letting her jacket rest in her lap. "Hey, Brad, what's up?" Her eyebrows scrunched in confusion at the sight of her friend looking like he was holding something back.

"Peter cheated on you," he blurted out in a hushed whisper. Beth's eyes widened as some of their class turned to look at them from Brad's outburst. Her class broke out into hushed whispers at the gossip. Beth's face burned red at all the eyes on her.

"Why do you say that?" She turned back towards Brad. Her friend reached into his pocket— pulling out his phone. "He was about to hook up with this blonde European chick," Brad opened his phone and began flicking through his pictures. None of which had Peter in the frame.

"This is so weird, i—it was right here on my phone," he stuttered. Beth nodded, mostly to herself as she fought to stay awake. She laid her head against the window, "huh, that's weird." She whispered quietly, closing her eyes as sleep started to take hold of her.

Brad turned towards her— seeing her eyes shut, head pressed against the window. "I'm really sorry, Beth." Her eyes flickered open for a moment, "it's alright, I'll talk to him later. I'm so tired right now." The last thing she saw was Brad giving her a light smile before she was pulled into a dreamless sleep.

-❆-

Beth slept through the entire ride to Prague. She didn't know what made her so exhausted but she was appreciative of the rest. Before they went on their summer vacation she had struggled to sleep. With the reporters always at her door, she didn't want to stay at the Parker's to lead the camera's over there. So she slept alone in her apartment until the weekends where she went to the lakehouse to be with her sister and her mom.

They had finally arrived in Prague when Beth woke. Her body ached from being sprawled out in the bus seat. She stretched her stiff joints before making her way out of the bus with the rest of her class.

Peter was one of the first students to exit the bus, as he was sitting at the front. He waited by the entrance of the bus for Beth to exit. Some of his classmates gave him judging looks. Word spread down the bus after Brad's outburst and Peter had to deal with Flash taunting him about how he was going to swoop Beth off her feet.