forty-three

S A D  F O R E V E R
by
Lauv
"Voices always keeping me up. Telling me I should give up."

─────

─────

MJ couldn't seem to wrap her head around all the information that was piling in her brain. But she knew one thing— she needed to talk to Beth. 

When MJ walked into Beth's room, she didn't expect to see Peter with his top off and Beth in the midst of unzipping her jacket. Beth's eyes widened as she stopped what she was doing. Her blue eyes flicked back to Peter who's entire face was flushed red. 

"This is not what it looks like," Beth stuttered. There was a noise that came from the hallway. Beth rushed forwards, pulling MJ into the room. 

Beth shut the door— she turned MJ by her shoulders so her back was to Peter and was facing her. "Look, Mysterio isn't who he says he is. That device you found, it's illusion tech— he tricked all of us." 

Beth's hand went back to the zipper of her jacket. Unzipping it she shrugged off her jacket. With her arms uncovered, the black veins on her arms were now exposed. 

"Oh my god— Beth," MJ's voice cracked. Beth folded her arms, trying to hide as much as she could. That was one thing she forgot to tell MJ about. "It's nothing, don't worry." Quickly, she stripped off her shirt and pants before pulling on her suit. 

The door began to open after she slipped on her boots. Beth placed her mask on her face— her suit giving off a red glow. 

The door creaked open. Beth spun around as Ned stepped into the room. Peter relaxed from where he stood— flicking up the eyes of his mask, "ah, Ned. Perfect." 

Ned smiled as he got a closer look at Beth and Peter's new suits. "The costume looks great!" He couldn't help but exclaim. 

Ned froze, his eyes looking nervously towards MJ. "For the costume party— at the prince's castle," Beth winced at the lie. She's not surprised that MJ figured it out. 

Beth pointed to MJ, "she knows, I told her." MJ's eyes flickered towards her than back towards Ned as he made a face of realization. 

"Look Mysterio is a fraud," Peter spoke up. Ned's face curled up in confusion, "but he saved me and Betty's lives." Beth shook her head, "no he's been faking the whole thing with illusion tech." 

Her face dropped as she remembered something, was Reyna even on their side? Peter nodded his head but noticed the change in Beth's mood, "yeah, he's, like, using these hologram projectors." 

Ned's eyebrows raised. "Woah, that's crazy." MJ nodded her head, mumbling a small 'yeah' as she turned towards Beth. 

The blue-eyed girl was staring, wide-eyed, at Peter as he looked at her concernedly. "Reyna," her voice cracked. And Peter understood— he could see Beth just started trusting Reyna. But now they didn't know who to trust.