A tough crowd.

"Give us a minute will you?" Rey said looking over her shoulder at Chewbacca and the droids.  Chewbacca grunted and opened the door, R2 wheeling out behind him, closely followed by C3PO who turned in the doorway, one of his mechanical arms raised, "Its so very good to see you again Sir".  Kylo nodded at him and he turned then, pulling the door shut behind him. 

Kylo looked back to Rey and found her eyes on his.  "I know it's going to be tough for you here, some of the people here are not happy with my decision to bring you back but it's the only way forward Ben, for the first order, for the resistance and for us.  It will be ok, I'll help you" Rey said, her voice trailing off as her eyes roamed over his face.  "I wish I knew what you were thinking Ben, you're so hard to read".  With saying that Rey gingerly raised her hand to touch his forehead but he grabbed her wrist, stopping her.  "Don't. Not this time".  He had known that she wanted to peer inside his head but for some reason he felt uncomfortable with that, he'd already revealed so much to her and now, with his mind full of fear and uncertainty he felt very vulnerable.  Rey pulled her hand back, hurt crossing her face for a moment before she spoke again, "Wait here, I'll bring you something to wear" she said, turning then and slipping out through the door, avoiding his gaze.

Rey returned with a dark, tan coloured tunic top with a belt. Reluctantly Kylo pulled it on, he hated becoming like the people he had despised for so long. Rey watched him with a smile on her face, helping him ease the fabric down over his bandages and securing the ties. "It fits!" She said brightly, stepping back to admire him, her smile fading when she reached his face. "You're free now Ben, you don't have to wear black". He didn't answer. The truth was he didn't feel free, he was amongst the people he had fought against for years. No, he was just as much a prisoner as when Snoke had been alive.

They stepped out into the sunshine. Kylo realised quickly that he was at the base he had visited Rey at on Dantooine.  As they walked through a clump of trees Kylo heard voices.  Instinctively his hand went down to his belt and he cursed.  His saber wasn't there of course, it had been taken from him when he was captured by the first order. He hated being without it.  A large group, led by the resistance pilot and the traitor appeared, stopping abruptly when they saw Kylo, their faces becoming cold. Rey stepped protectively in front of him, her small frame barely covering him. The pilot stepped forwards, his hands on his hips, "Ok so what's the plan? We're just supposed to live alongside this monster and be happy about it?" . Kylo moved past Rey, incensed by the pilots words and not used to having to take such abuse from anyone but Snoke. The pilot moved forwards too, accepting Kylos challenge. Rey rushed in between them, "Stop! Poe, Ben, back off". Kylo kept his eyes on Poe, smirking with satisfaction when the pilot backed away first. "Poe, this is the only way. The first order is in pieces with no leader, we have hardly anyone left. Instead of fighting can we not come together.?One day an enemy far greater will come and we will need the numbers, we will need the weapons". The traitor stepped forwards then, "You don't know the first order Rey. They won't join us, they will kill us" he said, his eyes fixed on Kylo. "Finn what about the stormtroopers that are left there? They are just people, like you, taken from their families. If we could promise them freedom in exchange for their loyalty most would come, I'm sure of it". The girl named Rose stepped forwards then, "And the ones who won't join us?" She asked. Kylo took a step, stopping in front of the small girl, "We kill them" he said simply. Rose took a step back, clearly rattled by the coldness of his answer.  Rey shot Kylo a look and threw her hands into the air.  "Look, we need to sit down and discuss this.  I know it's going to be hard for everyone but this needs to work" Rey said, a hint of desperation in her voice.  The crowd muttered irritability and Rey lifted her hands again, "We will meet tomorrow morning in the mess room, 9 o'clock".  The crowd filtered out, all eyes glaring at Kylo, his own eyes holding every stare, determined not to allow them to intimidate him. 

"I'm sorry" Rey said as they walked out through the base.  Kylo glanced at her, "For what?".  Rey stopped walking, taking his hand, stopping him too, "For the way the others are towards you".  Kylo pulled his hand free and carried on walking, "Don't be".  Rey hurried after him, ducking infront of him and attempting to walk backwards as she spoke, "I tried to make them see what I see but they only see Kylo Ren,especially Poe and Finn".  Kylo stopped abruptly then, leaning towards her, "It's nothing, it doesn't matter to me".  Irritation crossed Rey's face then, "It does bother you, I know it does and I know what Poe called you upset you too so why can't you just admit it?  Why must you act as though you have no feelings, even now in front of me?".  Irritated himself now Kylo balled his hands into fists and stepped closer to Rey, "Han Solo was my father, a man who thought it weak to show your feelings, my mother a strong warrior princess and then Snoke, watching me all the time, reading my thoughts, laughing at my weakness whenever he saw it.  So I built a wall Rey, a big, big wall.  A wall that you have systematically taken down brick by brick, a wall that I was starting to feel better without.  But now I'm here, in a hostile place with people who want me dead and the safest thing right now feels like putting that wall back up".  Tears shone in Rey's eyes as she absorbed his words and her arms encircled his waist, her head forcing itself against his chest.  He hesitated for a moment and then his arms encircled her waist too.