An escape.

The traitor had reluctantly helped Rey lift him from the floor and together they had half dragged a bleeding, barely conscious Kylo through the halls.  Hazy glimpses travelled past his eyes of passageways and doors.  At one point he was aware of being held up only by the traitor, his grasp on him far firmer than it need be, the hate and resentment pouring off him in waves.  Blaster fire thereafter and then fast movements, Rey's voice telling him to move his feet, trying hard and then the feeling of relief as they boarded a shuttle.

"Ben?" Came a soft voice.  He felt as though he had been sleeping.  His head felt groggy and his mouth felt dry.  He turned his head slowly, opening his eyes.  Rey was there, her face close to his, her brow creased with worry.  For a moment Kylo thought that they were on Ach-to but then, as his eyes left hers and roamed around he realised that he was somewhere different altogether.  He was in a medical bay but where that bay was he didn't know.  He tried to sit up but was hit with a wave of nausea and a deep ache which made him suck in his breath and close his eyes, lowering himself back down onto the bed.  "Ben are you ok?" Rey asked as the soft skin of her hand stroked his head.  He opened his eyes slowly and nodded, "I'm fine.  Where am I?", Rey smiled slightly, obviously recognising that the truth serum had worn off by his curt answer.  "Ben do you remember that myself and Finn saved you from your base, and that you were being tortured there?"  Kylo nodded slowly, he had the feeling that Rey was saying this to prepare him for something.  "We had to get you out of there, we had to bring you somewhere safe".  Kylos eyes had narrowed as he listened.  Where was she going with this?  "Where am I Rey?" He asked again.  Rey bit her lip, sighed and then spoke determinedly, "Ben you're on the resistance base.  I've pulled some strings, I.....".  Despite his huge pain and the dancing lights before his eyes, Kylo sprung up, knocking over a stack of medical dressings as he went, "Rey, I can't be here, you have to get me away from here now, do you understand me?" Kylo yelled, his hands in fists at his side.  Rey walked up to him, her face stern, her brows furrowed, "And take you where?  You're injured, everyone on your base is looking for you because they think that you're a traitor.  This is the only place that's safe for you right now.  It doesn't mean anything Ben, it was the only option".  Kylo let his breath out in a loud whoosh and sat back down slowly on the edge of the bed, wincing in pain.  Rey was right, he knew it, he just didn't like it, he didn't like it at all.  "Look Ben, we were planning on coming together so why not now? Maybe we can even salvage what's left of the first order, who knows, but right now you're in no state to do anything" Rey said, gesturing to Kylos bare chest, covered in deep, dark bruises, freshly applied bandages covering the burns and cuts. Kylo looked down. The reminants of his tunic were on the floor with his boots, gloves and belt. His belt! "Where's my lightsaber?" He asked suddenly, standing again and attempting to reach under his tunic but failing and instead kicking about there with his boot. Rey took his arm, attempting to lead him back to the bed but he resisted, "I need it..." he muttered shaking his arm free. Something about being here made him feel so vulnerable. Rey sighed, her arms folded across her chest, "Do you know what it took to convince someone to help me rescue you?", Kylo looked up, cross now, "Who, the traitor?". Rey stepped right up to him, her fists balled at her side, "Finn, his name is Finn. He's seen the awful things that the first order have done, he's seen the awful things that you've done and yet he still came with me and like it or not he still saved you!". Kylo turned away from her, biting the inside of his mouth as she spoke. "You love me. I know it's true because you told me that after you had been given the truth serum". Kylo straightened, his body turning slightly towards Rey, "So?" He said flatly. Rey was angry now, he could hear it in her voice, "So why can't you stop trying to pretend. Why can't you just be with me, the first order is in tatters, the resistance is in tatters. Why can't we accept our feelings for one another and move on, together?". Kylo could sense her frustration coming off her in waves but he didn't answer. He had no answer, he didn't know what to say.

Silence. Then the sound of the door opening and closing and Rey was gone.

Kylo paced the small room.  There were no windows in it but he could hear the sounds of people and machinery beyond it.  Part of him wanted to walk out, to face the resistance members head on but another part of him knew it would be foolish so he waited.  He sat down on the bed and gingerly pulled at the bandage on his stomach, revealing a neat row of stitches.  He checked under the other bandage and saw red, raw skin there.  Wincing, he let the bandage fall back against his skin again and closed his eyes.  What a mess he'd gotten himself into.

A short time later the door opened again.  Rey stood there and behind her was Chewbacca, C3PO and R2 D2.  Kylo stood quickly, holding his stomach, shocked into silence by the array of figures from his past, his eyes sweeping over them.  They all squashed into the small room and Rey shut the door behind them.  "Ben.  All of these guys know you, the real you.  Whatever you've done is now behind you.  They're all willing to move on and you should be too.  You're the one who always says let the past die, well let what's come before go.  Stay here, let's do what we said we would on Ach-to.  We can combine what's left of the first order with what's left of the resistance, but constantly running away is not the answer Ben, not when you have people who want to help you and who care for you".  Chewbacca roared then and Kylo glanced at him.  C3PO came forwards next, "Sir I remember when you were a young boy, you told me then that anyone could be anything if they believed strongly enough in it" R2 beeped and whirred and C3PO spun quickly "Yes he did say that R2, those were his exact words, it was you who wasn't listening properly".  A smile tugged at Kylos lips.  The droids hadn't changed.  Rey came forwards then and took his hands in hers, "I love you Ben, everyone in this room loves you.  Stay and we can figure this thing out together".  Kylos eyes swept over Rey's face and then he nodded and her lips met his, the sound of Chewie roaring, C3PO cheering and R2 beeping filling his ears.