Transmission response.

"Come in.....my name is Finn, do you copy me?". Static fizzed noisily and then Finn tried again, "Hello, can anyone hear me?" More static. Finns finger lifted off the button and he turned to Rey shaking his head, "Nothing". Rey sighed deeply, turning to Kylo who met her eyes, "Try saying your FN number" Kylo said. Finn turned to look at him, his eyes narrowed but then he turned back, pressing down the button and holding the radio close to his lips, "Come in....I was FN2187 with the first order stormtrooper program. Come in....". A crackle and then static. Finn shrugged, turning to look at Rey, "Nothing, Rey I'm sorry to say bu....". Kylo held up his hand suddenly, "Quiet". Finn shot him a look but he ignored it as the radio crackled into life. Rey gasped as a voice came through. "FN2187, that you?". Finns eyes became wide and he quickly lifted the radio to his mouth, "Yes, yes it is, who's this?". They all waited silently. Another crackle, "FN4675. We slept in the same dormitory". Rey grasped Finns arm, her face full of hope and he nodded quickly, "I escaped, I'm part of a new group now. We need bigger numbers ....we can help you, any of you..". A pause followed by static and then a voice, "I heard stories but I always figured you'd been killed. It's crazy here, we're the only ones left...the officers have fled or we've shot them. Kylo Ren has gone and Hux is dead......oh so is Snoke....". Kylo stepped forwards then, taking the radio from Finn who fought to keep hold of it. "Ben what are you doing?" Rey hissed making a dive for the radio. Kylo was too quick though and pressed down the button, speaking into it. "This is Kylo Ren".  A crackle, a moments silence and then the troopers voice, shrill and filled with panic, "Supreme Leader, I, I....".   Kylo raised his chin as he spoke, "I am no longer your supreme leader.  I have left the first order. I stand with different allies now, with a different agenda. Join us and have your freedom, cut all ties to the first order as I have".  Silence and then static.  Finn snatched the radio back, "You didn't need to do that, I had it.  I knew him, I was dealing perfectly well and then you....".  A crackle of static followed by a voice, "FN2187?".  Finn glared at Kylo momentarily before speaking into the radio again, "The names Finn now".  Static.... "Was that real?  Was that really Kylo Ren?  Level with me, what's going on?".  Finn cleared his throat, "It was Kylo Ren.  He's standing with us".  Just the way Finn spoke the words Kylo could feel the resentment pouring off him.  "Who is us?" The trooper asked.  Finn sat down on a stool rubbing his forehead, "Me, Kylo Ren, Rey...". Static and then the troopers voice high pitched with excitement "Rey?  She's the force sensitive who escaped the first order and took down Kylo Ren!"  Kylo looked first at Finn who was battling to suppress a smile and then at Rey who wasn't even trying to hide her amusement.  "Oh shit!  Can he hear this?  I mean...".  Kylo stepped forwards then taking the radio from Finn, "I can hear you trooper.  Just be ready, we will come to you.  Any willing to follow us we will take, those who resist.....".  It was Rey's turn to snatch the radio now, ignoring Kylos withering look, "Those who resist will be spared but they must leave the first order.  As someone I love once said to me, it's time to let old things die".  Rey lifted her finger from the button and met Kylos eyes and for the briefest moment their minds connected and he silently thanked her for acknowledging what he had preached to her for so long.

"We will head there tomorrow, start transporting the troops back in whatever transport we can use" Rey said after the transmission had ended.  The others who were willing to live alongside Kylo Ren had gathered now and Rose stepped forwards, "There are loads of old freighters, me and Finn have been fixing them up".  Rey turned and smiled at Rose, clearly grateful for her friends help, "Wonderful, show us" Rey said leaving the transmissions hut and signalling for the rest to follow.  Kylo hung back slightly, letting the others go and then he followed, still ill at ease with his surroundings and company.

Rose was right.  Twelve beaten up looking freighters sat in a row in an old ivy covered bunker.  The sight of them brought back memories for Kylo of his father, he was always servicing rust buckets.  He had tried to teach Kylo but he had resisted, preferring always to fly ships rather than fix them.  Kylo shut his eyes for a moment as his parents faces drifted into his mind and he inhaled deeply, leaning his arm against a freighter and then resting his head on it.  A touch to his arm and he looked up to find Rey smiling at him, "Are you ok?".  Kylo nodded slowly,"Yes.  Just ready to move on, to let the past die". Rey nodded, "Come on, help me scrub these rust buckets clean" Rey said cheerfully, holding out her hand to him.