Hux.

That night Kylo slept well, free from nightmares.  When he awoke the next morning he lay for a moment thinking about what he'd heard.  Had it been real?  Yes, he was sure that he'd heard it.  He climbed out of bed feeling better than he had since becoming Supreme Leader.  He knew that he should feel differently, that he should eliminate his mother as he had his father but he didn't, he felt a small spark of hope knowing that she was still there.

"Supreme Leader your helmet is ready".

Kylo turned the helmet over and over in his hands looking at the red cracks and running his fingers over them.  He pulled it on and revelled in the cover it gave him.  He had struggled ever since he had destroyed his other helmet with being so exposed and open to everyone but now he breathed in deeply and closed his eyes.  This was going to make his job a lot easier.

Kylo joined Hux and they walked in silence for a moment, stopping eventually to watch the new troops combat training.  "So what's our next move against the Resistance?" Hux said, his eyes still fixed on the troops.  Kylo turned slowly, taking in Hux's pale features through his mask.  "Don't concern yourself with that General.  We need to amass our troops and weapons first.  Their numbers are small, they would be crazy to attack us now".  Hux turned his eyes to Kylo then, his brows drawn together, "Are you saying that you have no plans to hunt them down?  What signal does that send Supreme Leader?".  Under his mask Kylo closed his eyes and sucked in his breath irritatedly.  "They are of no consequence, we will finish training our troops and increasing our fleet first".  Hux spun on his heel now, his eyes burning into Kylos through his mask, he hesitated for a moment as if deciding whether he dared say something and then he spoke softly, his head leaning so close to Kylo that his breath hit his mask, "I can't help thinking that you are stalling for time Ren".  Kylo turned his head sharply making Hux recoil, "What?" He hissed.  Hux straightened, "I'm not stupid Supreme Leader.  I know that you helped the girl kill Snoke.  I don't know why you would protect her but I will find out and I will use it against you".  Kylo turned fully then, drawing his saber with one hand and knocking Hux to the ground with the other. Moving quickly to hold the saber blade to his neck.  "I should kill you for your insolence.  I am Supreme Leader now, you do what I ask without question, is that clear General?".  Hux who was visibly shaking nodded quickly.  Kylo held his blade there a moment longer before turning on his heel and walking away.  The trouble was Hux was right.  He was stalling.  Even more now that he had felt his mother's presence.

Later that day Kylo went into the gymnasium and locked the door. He didn't want to be disturbed. He took off his helmet, tunic and gloves and then, bare chested he began swinging his saber. Battling an imaginary foe, his mind still running at one hundred miles an hour. Again and again he swung out until sweat beaded on his forehead and dripped down his back. Breathing hard he stopped then, leaning his head against the cool wall, trying to clear his mind.

A sudden low humming noise snapped his head up and he spun quickly just in time to see Rey, standing across from him, her eyes wide.