Why?

A voice, distant but familiar. Calling him, calling him by his birth name. For a moment he thought that he might have died and it was his mother's voice but then suddenly light was filtering in as his eyes opened and Rey was there, her eyes shining, tears flowing down her cheeks as she looked at him.

The memory of Hux suddenly hit him and he tried to sit up, slumping down again, realising that he was in Rey's arms. "I'm here Ben it's ok" he heard Rey whisper through her tears.  Kylos eyes swept around the room they were in and he tried to sit up again, a gasp escaping his lips.  Where was he?  "Shh, it's ok, you're safe, I promise you".  "Where am I?" Kylo asked, almost afraid to hear the answer.  Rey's hand smoothed hair from his face and she sighed before answering slowly, "You're at the resistance base".

Kylo pushed her hand away now and made it onto his knees and then shakily to his feet.  Despite his legs feeling like jelly he pushed on, making it to a metal table and leaning there, his breathing loud and ragged.  "Do your people know that I'm here?" Kylo asked, his eyes on the tabletop. "Only a couple of people" Rey said quietly.

He stood for a moment unsure of what else to say and suddenly Rey was on her feet, standing in front of him, her eyes pleading with him, tears sparkling there, "Ben, he's dead, I killed your general but not before he took your powers.  I can't see your light anymore" Rey finished with a sob. 

Kylo stared at her then as it all came back to him.  Eadu, Hux, taking Rey's place.  He shut his eyes and all he saw was black.  No light shining coming from Rey.  Nothing.  He concentrated on the image of Rey in his mind and tried to push into her mind but he was left with nothing.  Frustrated and barely believing the truth he dragged his hands into his hair, pulling slightly as his eyes opened and his lip quivered.  It was gone, his power.  He was nothing.  Not even the scavengers equal and here he was stuck on his enemies base.  "Ben...I" Rey began, her hand outstretched to him.  Kylo shook his head violently, "Why did you go there Rey?  To Eadu?" Kylo said loudly, anger and resentment filling his voice.  Rey shifted, tears spilling down her cheeks, "I wanted to kill him before he got to you".  Kylo swallowed, taking in the information.  Of course, she was trying to protect him, deep down he had already known that but hearing it now made a sharp tug at his heart and his rage subside slightly.  "You put us both in danger, why would you do that Rey?" He said, his voice softening slightly.  Rey walked towards him then, stopping less than a foot apart, their breaths dancing on each other's skin, "Because I love you Ben" Rey whispered.