Chapter Two: The American Odyssey

Depuis le début

"Diana Prince, princess of Hippolyta and daughter of Zeus. Wayne... that name is familiar. Are you, by any chance, related to Bruce Wayne - the billionaire?"

(Y/n) let out a nervous chuckle and scratched the back of his head. "M-Maybe..."

"I only ask not just because you have the same last name, but also you carry similar features with him."

"I do?"

"It's not a bad thing, I can assure you. Have you met your brother?"

(Y/n) sighed. "Not yet. I-I'm planning on it though. I just, never really got around... to it. Especially now, now that I'm stuck in some dungeon - which, I might add, is the best-looking dungeon I've ever been in, considering when one thinks of the word dungeon, things come to mind like torture and cells with skeletons in them - which is a surprise since I haven't found any skeletons or torture weapons or devices of the sort."

"No. Of course not," she chuckled heartily. "We are not that cruel. We would just simply subject you to fight to the death in our arena."

"Gee, that's comforting."

"How did you find out about your brother?"

"Well, Wayne Enterprises is one of the biggest corporations globally. And plus, I've seen him on television and being mistaken for the rich man himself. How about you? You ever been out of... this place?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact. A long time ago. During the second World War, to be precise. I recognised him via broadcast on television."

"T-Televison, you say? Then, how come your people don't have...?"

"Because we do not rely on man's advancements. We do just fine on our own."

"So you've been out. How'd you find it?"

Diana took a quick inhale, breaking eye contact as she braced herself for what she hoped wouldn't get brought up. "When I first left Themyscira, it was to help a friend - who at the time was in the exact same situation as you - except before, it was to stop the war. The first World War. I... he, he sacrificed his life to prevent a plane full of bombs on board from being detonated."

"I'm sorry," was all he could muster.

Coming from a familiar world of pain, (Y/n) too could feel the awkwardness of their conversation fall into silence until Diana chimed in with a different topic in mind.

"Where is it you are from?" Diana inquired.

(Y/n) looked at her surprised, clearly taken aback by her asking until he cleared his throat and answered her. "I-I don't really, have... a place. I'm like, I'm a wanderer. I move from place to place, looking for adventure and risk."

"What about before all that?"

"Anywhere I could find scraps."

Shocked by this, Diana felt sorry for the (h/c) man who'd had a troubled childhood as she placed a hand on her chest in empathy.

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"Don't be. I just... L-Living alone on the streets of Vietnam wasn't easy at all as a kid. But growing up, it became easier to steal to survive considering older people couldn't catch someone twice as fast as them."

"(Y/n)..." Diana muttered in a scolding fashion as her voice trailed off.

"Would you not do the same?" (Y/n) countered.

The black-haired woman sighed and gestured for him to continue.

"Anyway... it wasn't until I was about sixteen when I found out I had a brother. But I couldn't just leave, not when someone who had the heart to care for me and give me a roof to sleep under and decent clothes that didn't make me look like a leper. Sadly, she died of cholera a year later. So I took what I needed and left, began travelling. And lemme tell you, walking miles and miles on foot gives plenty of time to rethink one's life on the road. I found myself a job sailing ships and hunting seafood until I accumulated enough to look after myself properly. But Gotham isn't a place I'm planning on going to anytime soon."