twelve.

-

-

You woke up feeling a bit of pain, and Minho was right, you were definitely worried about the way you were walking.

You looked in your bathroom mirror, your eyes widening at your reflection. Your hair was a mess, your lips were red, and you looked exhausted. Despite your appearance, however, you had a good time. He definitely helped you take your mind off of things, and he even told you that he wanted to meet again.

That was good, because then you could get details about him without being overtly suspicious. If he was onto you, though, then there would be a problem.

You yawned and hopped in the shower, washing away the previous night. You got dressed and threw your towels into your hamper, then you went into the kitchen to find Ki-Bum.

"Good morning." He smiled. "You didn't even notice me when you got home last night."

"You- you were here last night?"

He laughed at how red your cheeks were getting. "You looked like you were in pain."

You slapped your forehead and sighed. "It was a really long day."

He responded with a suggestive hum, one of his brotherly teasing responses, and went back to cooking. "How's work?"

"Always busy. I still haven't had a proper day off."

"I mean, Changmin calls you his secret weapon." He looked over at you. "That should make up for it, right?"

"Of course. I'm really grateful that he thinks so highly of me, but I would also be thankful for a break." You replied. "You still call him Changmin?"

He looked over and saw your smile. "I'm not working for him, so I'm not gonna call him boss. Plus, he was always around us when we were kids. Him and Mom were best friends."

You looked down at the fond memory and thought of what Changmin said to you when you were younger.

'You have a brilliant mind, Y/N. You'll be doing great things in the future.'

You were ten when he told you that. Your mom was an agent for him, so he was around often, mainly to check up on you and Ki-Bum when your mom was on an extensive case. He was right, though, you were doing great things and he always told you how proud your mother would be of you. Sometimes you felt like he hired you because of your mother, but he told you several times that he hired you because of your skill set.

You were brought out of your thoughts by Ki-Bum putting a plate down in front of you. You thanked him and both of you ate together, then you rinsed your plate, put it in the sink, and left after saying bye to your brother.

"Where are we going?"

Changmin looked at you. "Jisung's apartment."

You looked at your boss. "What? Why?"

He reached into his backseats, not taking his eyes off the road, and handed you a mask and a hat. "Put these on."

You did as he said without hesitation, confused nonetheless. As you were pulling up to an apartment complex, you saw smoke in the air. Your boss pulled over on the side of the road and parked, and the two of you got out. As you were walking up the stairs, he leaned in to talk to you.

"Someone planted a bomb in Jisung's apartment."

"It's not hard to guess who did it." You replied.

He sighed and opened Jisung's door. "It's better to double check." He paused. "The explosion wasn't big, just enough to ruin his home."

You looked around and paid careful attention to detail, walking around other crime scene investigators. "It looks to me that they wanted to run Jisung out of his home to live somewhere else." You looked back at him. "With the gang."

He nodded. "I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so."

Both of you had walked out of his apartment for a moment. "He can stay with me, sir."

"Y/N, that could blow your cover-"

"It's a friend helping out a friend." You cut him off. "It's me or the gang."

He looked at you for a moment before giving in. "Fine, but be careful."

After your shift at Shik AI, you were waiting for Jisung to come out of the department. Once he did, he looked at you and gave you a weak smile.

"I'm really sorry about what happened, Jisung." You said.

"It's not your fault." He sighed. "Thank you for being concerned though."

"Where are you gonna stay?"

He thought for a moment. "I'll probably stay at a hotel, or something."

He opened the door for you and both of you walked out, but you stopped to make him stop. "You can stay with me for the time being."

"Y/N, I don't want to intrude-"

"If I thought you'd be intruding, I wouldn't have offered."

He looked over your expression, and finally nodded. "Okay, but only until I find a new apartment."

You smiled. "That's fine."

You walked him to your car, and as you were opening your door, you looked up to see a weird expression on Jisung's face. "This is your car? This matte black Audi is yours?"

"Yeah, why?"

He finally got in your car and you started driving home. "I've always wondered who's car this was. I never would've thought it was yours."

"Why's that?"

He shrugged. "You seem like a simple person, so I thought you'd have something less expensive."

You chuckled to yourself. "Surprise."

You pulled into the complex shortly after, and Jisung's jaw dropped. You parked and made your way up to your apartment, unlocking it and letting him in first.

"I didn't know you lived such a lavish life, Y/N." He complimented. "Your home is very lovely."

"Thank you, Jisung-"

"Y/N, who's here?"

Ki-Bum walked out of the guest bathroom, drying his hair off with a towel. Jisung looked back at you in shock, then back at Ki-Bum as he bowed.

"I'm Jisung. It's nice to meet you." He greeted.

Ki-Bum smiled. "I'm Ki-Bum, Y/N's brother."

"Okay," you paused. "Jisung, you can have the guest bedroom, so go ahead and make yourself at home."

He nodded and followed you to the guest bedroom. "Thank you for this, Y/N."

"It's not a problem."

You walked back to the living room and looked at Ki-Bum, who was giving you that look that made your stomach drop.

-