thirty.

-

-

You were zoned out in the autopsy room as Blade was taking liver temperature to estimate the time of death. "Okay, the estimated time of death was around two forty-five this morning- are you listening?"

You cleared your throat and looked at her. "No, sorry."

"What's bothering you?" She asked.

"Those are the guys that killed my mom, Blade." You told her. "I was trying to get information about her death from them, but I didn't get anything."

"Oh," she mumbled. "I'm so sorry, Y/N."

"One of them had an eight year old daughter. How am I supposed to tell her that her father is dead?" You asked.

"I don't know. I'm just an ME, you're the field agent."

"Yeah, I am." You stood up from the chair you were sitting in and walked over to the bodies. "So, what time?"

"Approximately two forty-five this morning." She said. "And look at the cut on his throat. If you look closely, you can see that the cut started on the right and got deeper as it went to the left, meaning they were most likely left handed, and it's the same on both bodies."

You thought about it for a moment, subconsciously touching the nearly healed gash on your stomach. "Can you look at this?"

You lifted your shirt up to show her the cut, and she looked at it closely. "If you're thinking that whoever cut you cut these guys, then you'd be right." She picked up one of Joshua's wrists and showed it to you. "These guys didn't have defensive wounds on their wrists. Usually, you try to do something when you're in danger, which means they should have cuts on their wrists from the handcuffs they were in."

"But they didn't, meaning they knew the guy that went into the basement. They probably thought that he was there to help them." You added.

"Exactly." She clapped. "He was probably talking to them when he went behind them and cut their throats. They weren't expecting it."

"And that's why we didn't hear any screams when it was happening."

She nodded as her computer beeped, and both of you walked over to it. There had been a match on the blood, and it was DaeJung's blood type.

You ruffled Blade's hair. "You're the best."

You headed for the door, but she called out to you and made you turn around. "You promised me lunch."

You laughed. "Yes, I did. Let's go." She grabbed her things and both of you left the building, getting in your car. "Can we also visit Seoyoon's grave?"

It was dark when you got back to the house, so you tied your hair up, then you grabbed some water and a sponge. You sluggishly went down to the basement, only to find a bucket of water and a sponge already down there.

You sighed and grabbed the items, getting on your knees to scrub the blood off the basement floor. You didn't even realize that you were crying until you saw your tears fall into the puddle of blood, and you wiped your face with your sleeve.

Once you were finished cleaning the blood, you took the bucket to the bathroom and dumped the water out, cleaned the sponge, then cleaned the bathtub. You turned the water on and let the tub fill up with water, then you stripped and sat down in it, feeling the water against your skin.

You sunk down into it and stayed there, thoughts and words flying around in your head, like an echoing crowd of people screaming.

Meanwhile, Chan had woken up to see if you were home, and when he found that you weren't in your bedroom, he figured that you were still out with Blade. He went to the bathroom and turned the door knob, and panicked once he found that it was locked. He wasn't sure who was in the bathroom, but he had a funny feeling that it was you.

Of course, you couldn't hear him. All you could hear was the sound of your heart beating in your ears. You didn't even hear him kick the door open, but only knew he was there when he pulled you out of the water.

"Y/N, what are you doing?" He said, his voice quiet.

"Check-" you took a breath. "Checking to see if I'm alive."

"What do you mean? Of course you're alive."

"It comforts me to know that my heart is still beating, Chris."

He grabbed a towel for you and looked away as you covered yourself with it, but the least of your worries were being naked in front of him. You were more worried about your father being released from prison.

"Are you hungry?" Chan asked.

You nodded. "A little."

"Okay. Go get changed and I'll make you something."

You did so, changing into a t-shirt and joggers. He was already cooking when you sat down at the kitchen counter, and you just watched him tiredly.

"What's bothering you?" He asked.

"My father is being released on parole tomorrow." You replied. "And I don't know how to tell Hyeon and Mrs. Kim that Joshua is dead."

"Well, you said that Hyeon was scared of him. Maybe it won't affect her as much as you think it will." He said.

"Maybe, but either way she still lost someone important to her. Apparently, Joshua treated Hyeon like his little princess, so there might be a few good memories for her." You sighed. "Mrs. Kim will probably blame me for his death, tell me that he was in my custody when it happened and that I should've kept watch on him at all times."

He set two plates of food down and sat in front of you. "It's not your fault, Y/N."

"Minho thinks it is." You said, taking a bite of your food.

Chan shook his head, disappointed. "I'm sorry that he acted like that. He just wants everyone in this house to be safe. We've been each other's family for as long as we can remember, so he gets like that when he thinks there's a threat."

"Do you think I'm a threat?" You whispered.

"No, I don't-"

"But if I wasn't here, ByungChul wouldn't have broke into your house, I wouldn't have men in custody in your basement, and nobody would have died in your basement, Chan." You cut him off.

He looked at you and shrugged. "So, why are you asking me if you think you're a threat?"

"I guess I just need the reassurance." You confessed.

"Don't let Minho make you feel like that. He's just as scared as the rest of us, okay?" Chan said. "Don't ever let anyone make you feel like you shouldn't be where you are."

You finished off the last bite of your food. "I know, but-"

You stopped mid sentence, and Chan tilted his head. "What?"

"Chan!" You whispered. "My fathers parole release is right before the annual ball!"

"Annual ball?"

"Yes! It's a secret ball for all the top-tier criminals in the area!" You told him.

"Okay," he nodded slowly. "And?"

You smiled, proud. "And we can find him there, and put him back in prison!"

-