26

The bed was soft and warm. Alexa could feel Gray's arm drape over her, more comforting than any blanket she had ever lay under. She ran her hand over his back, the soft hairs tickling the tips of his fingers. She could feel the bones through his skin, the vertebrae of his spine looking as though they tried to pierce through his flesh. His skin was rougher than she remembered than the time before she left with Gildarts. Before she left, his skin was smooth and almost womanly. The calluses left on his knuckles from fighting remained there. Gray had always liked having his scars shown visibly to the world. It was a recompensing trophy—a memory to remind him he conquered everything and that he has made it this far from never losing hope. His hair had grown so long now and so soft; the black lustrous hair she always played around with. The way it framed his eyes, and his now thinned face, made her lust for him more than she remembered. But it was only his eyes that remained unchanged, coloured a blue that seemed colder than the midnight sky, yet she found warmth when she looked deep into them.

Gray's dark icy eyes opened and closed from the light of the sun rays that managed to pierce the through curtain and she sort of smiled. He stared at her in confusion, blinking, his eyelashes brushing against her cheek. In his eyes, she saw her reflection. It was her who had changed. Not on the outside, but the inside. As she looked upon herself, in his perfect blue eyes glistening with love for her. "I love you..." She blurted out, trying to hide her smile as best as she could.

He nuzzles into her shoulder, his black hair inches from her nose. She could smell his Gray-like smell, which was too good for words. "I love you, too."

There's something about Gray Fullbuster that makes her feel young inside, but not in a childish way. He wakes the pure side of her, the best side, all the facets of herself that only require love to be healthy and whole. An eternity to be with him would be serenity, contentment. Their energies vibrate in such a unique way, each the perfect compliment of the other. She's not simply 'in love', she's well and truly smitten. Any other could only be a poor reflection, no more substantial than a shadow of the real thing. Gray is what makes her heart strong. His smile alone burnishes her soul into a beauty it could never have achieved on its own.

"I want to sleep more..." he whined slightly, tightening his grip around his girlfriend.

Alexa chuckled softly. "We have to get ready for the ceremony, Gray. Besides, we basically napped the whole day."

The raven sighed and let go of her frame, allowing her to slip under him and out of the mattress. She walked to the end of the room where she hung her evening dress for tonight's event. It was a skin tight royal blue strapless type with a thin scoop down the middle reaching her rib cage level. A single slit cut down her left side to showcase her leg.

When she undressed herself, Alexa felt a pair of eyes on her body. She tilted her head around and saw Gray looking at her right hip. "Is something wrong?"

His dark eyes seemed even darker as they remained glued on the same spot, fists subconsciously clenched by his side. "You still have that scar."

She smiled. "I like it."

That smile is the prettiest thing he's seen in a while, for it extends to her eyes and deep into her soul. She is the gentle touch, the honesty that is a purity, a childhood innocence so vibrant and free. And the fact it's wasted on a sad memory pains him. "Wendy could get rid of it, if you asked her."

"It reminds me of our journey. And how we conquered it together."

Gray rose to his feet and stroked her long brown hair as he pulled her into his chest. The warmth of being with another human being and being happy made him want forgiveness even more. The realisation that they were not alone—that they have been through this together since day one and that they were in love together. The hug was an exchange of pure joy between her and him. "I promise I won't let you go through that again."