22

'The Ice Lock has been broken.' Invel thought to himself, not bothering to mask his anticipation. 'Time to see Gray and—'

In the grip of silent panic, Invel's eyes went wild as his pupils dilated and his heart raced. The utter lack of self control Gray was giving off in the far distance made the Spriggan sweat profusely. The raven was approaching, fists curled, teeth gritted and muscles flexed. The need for revenge was like a rat gnawing at Gray's soul, relentless, unceasing, it could only be stopped by the cold steel of a rat trap, a trap he would devise himself. His need for revenge was like an abscess on the skin of the soul that could only be cured by the cruel sharp steel point of revenge. Festering like a septic wound, and the only effective antibiotic is cold hard revenge. Savage. Spiteful. Unforgiving. He would bare a grudge until he died or took revenge, whichever came first. It was like a vexing of the soul for what he felt was not human, it was twisted and distorted but it was something strong. It burned so bad like fire lacing his veins and creeping up his spine, his skin was a sore looking red but all he could feel was desire; desire to hate. He was intoxicated with emotion he had no intention of ever feeling, the acidity of it was residing in his stomach waiting to be spat out of his mouth in foul and vulgar words he would be stared at for saying, except he wasn't going to say them.

Can you lose your humanity in a single moment? Or can you get it back in an instant? Is humanity something that can leave forever? Or really it always has a deep place inside us all, even when we swear its not there? Some of us show it more than others perhaps. Some of us block it out. Does Gray still have humanity? Does he still have a soul? But at this moment, maybe he had blocked all his humanity out so he could taste the only thing he craved: Revenge.

Hate, for lack of better words, can be compared to anger and betrayal. It's a word that people use lightly. 'Oh, I hate it when...' 'I hate that...' but hate; hate is indescribable. Hate is what turns the sweetest of people to the angriest. Hate is what makes the hero turn into the villain. Hate is the feeling that makes you wonder: Would you feel anything if you were to kill this person? Would you feel sadness? Anger? Would you feel like my shoulders have been lifted? Hate can turn us into things we feared as children.

"I knew it. I knew you'd be the one to survive—" But the Alvarez soldier couldn't finish his sentence.

Gray leaped at him like an animal chasing its prey and pummeled his fist into Invel's face. He brought his right foot and kicked under his chin. The blue haired's body was sent flying though a wall but he managed to catch himself and land on his feet.

"Absolute Ice Shourd!" The Spriggan covered his body in an armor made of what has been described as "unholy" ice: ice that freezes whatever he so much as grazes, including other kinds of ice and those who, for the most part, are immune to the effects of ice and the cold. "This netherworld ice freezes all that it touches. No matter how resistant to ice you are," Gray tried hitting Invel. "this armour will freeze you completely and then shatter you to pieces!"

However, despite the strength of this particular spell, it is not without weakness: it is not immune to the molding powers of Ice-Make, and the armor cannot freeze ice of the exact same property. Introduction to an environment where either weakness is present makes the armor liable to shatter.

The ice took over the arm in which he attacked Invel with. It crawled menacingly up to his face. But this form stop Gray. He pushed himself forward, and despite the aching pain in his heart, body and soul, urged himself to keep fighting. His arm never stopped, even against the cold ice, and finally collided with Invel and sent him flying the opposite direction. Blue ice took over Gray's right arm—with his own ice this time.

"He made ice with the same properties as the Absolute Ice Shroud?!" Invel yelled in shock.

The raven continued mercilessly beating the Spriggan up. "Ice Devil: Zero Destruction Fist!" Gray, after using his Ice-Make to mold and shape the ice from Invel's True-Ice Kamui, creates a pair of destructively powerful gauntlets with the same properties as the aforementioned spell, and uses them to brutalize his target. Invel rolled backwards numerous times, and finally lied down and admitted defeat.