24

-A L E X A-

She awoke to find herself not in her cozy bed, or even in the protection of Fairy Hills. She awoke to find herself in another world, a world of suffering. As the numbness of sleep slowly faded from her limbs, she felt like someone was pulling her upwards. She opened her eyes, only to be greeted by a white blinding light, and gasped in a breath, but nothing came and she choked on her own dry tongue. There was no air in this menacing world; lack of oxygen descended on her mind in a panic, in desperation she sucked in another breath, burning her lungs with a ferocity that consumed her.

Realization dawned on her, she was dead.

Death held her with cold caress. She didn't fear it. She feared not knowing, what it might do and where it might take her. She tried to move her chest, tried to suck in air, but none came. Her heart stopped. Her mind gave one final sigh. Then saw nothing. Nothing at all. Darkness. She feels a thread tugging her again. But this time, she knows it isn't some sinister force dragging her toward death. This time she knows it's her mother's hand, drawing her into her arms.

And she gladly goes into her embrace.

Her eyes slowly fluttered open and she sat up with this burning sensation in her throat. It was a whooping cough for sure. She was coughing continuously for a while then took in a sharp breath. A hand gently rubbed her back in circular motions, whispering calming words. Her body shook with a jolt as she recognized the voice. Her head whipped around. "Mom?" Alexa threw her arms around her mother, showing with her all her might how much she missed her. But how is this possible? How could is she able to see and touch her mother? Then she knew why. She really was dead. "I-Is it over...?"

Shayla smiled sadly and shook her head. "Not quite. It's far too early for you, sweetie."

"T-Then what am I doing here—?" The surroundings around her suddenly changed in a blink of an eye. She was no longer standing in darkness, but instead in her home village, Quern. They were both standing in front of her old house. The sun was out at it's full extent in what seemed like summer around her. She scanned around and smiled at the little garden in her front yard, remembering where she and Jaxon used to play together while their parents watched them happily.

"I-I thought our home village was completely destroyed...?" Alexa questioned in bewilderment.

"This isn't real, honey. We're in your memories."

Alexa raised her brows at her mother.

"You're currently in both worlds right now." Shayla explained standing up, extending her hand down to help her daughter up from the ground. "I was sent here to help you get back in the real world."

Alexa gladly took it. "Oh..." was all she said. "Are dad and Jaxon okay?" she couldn't help but ask.

Shayla smiled, showcasing her pearly whites. "They're just fine."

"How do I go back...to the real world?"

"I was sent here to help you go back. You have to try and come back with as much willpower as you can."

"Wait." Alexa said. "I...I want more time with you."

"I do too..." she whispered, "but if we don't hurry, you may never be able to go back..."

Alexa threw her arms around her mother's frame one last time and hugged her as tight as she could. "I really miss you, dad and Jaxon. There are times when I feel like giving up and I just don't know what to without you guys..."

"We're always watching over you, don't forget that. If you ever need us, just look up at the stars. We made that promise a long time ago remember?"