18

He hid his tears under the rain that day.

He has always loved her with devotion and purity; he had in mind that they were going to be together forever. But things... they never stay the same. There comes a dark night after every sunny day. Being away from her made him realize it was never the physical love which made it special, it was something different—a connection between two souls. As he is surrounded by different people, tasks, he still feels her presence, her smile, her silliness. He's never with her, but finds himself with her all the time anyway. This feeling of being with her makes love worth it.

'I did it for her sake...' Those words were the only thing that kept Gray from going insane in this cult. He did it to protect her, he couldn't possibly bring her with him—it was far too dangerous. However, he hadn't expected the mission to last this long. His heart throbbed with unbearable guilt as he remembered the look of abandonment in her eyes and the look of despair on her face. I guess he knew how Jaxon must've felt.

Alexa's eyes were something Gray could gaze in for hours. They held the entire ocean. When she was happy, they were a clear radiant blue. They were usually slightly crinkled around the corners as she laughed or smiled, and there was no trace of a storm. When she was angry, that was a completely different matter. They were grey, murky and blazing with rage. Those eyes could burn a hole in your heart. But when she was sad? They turned icy, cold, totally unlike her. There were a few clouds, but mostly just ice. They hurt him the most. The day he left, they swallowed him whole.

He wanted Alexa in his bedroom. And not in that way. It was his private space, his sanctuary. And he wanted her to see him, the reality of him, not the image he showed the entire world. He wanted to lie down with her and have her curl into him. He wanted to hold her as she breathed softly through the night; to see her as no one else saw her: vulnerable and asleep. To see her and to be seen.

"Gray." Briar greeted as he heard the door slowly creak open behind him.

"Not now." He hissed sharply between his clenched teeth, not bothering to turn around and acknowledge her.

"But Gray—"

His magical power roared almost uncontrollably around the area. His ice magic froze the whole room in an instant as his hand was still tightly gripping the window frame. He shut his eyes tightly. "Not. Now."

Briar flinched involuntarily and slightly lowered her head in fear

Briar flinched involuntarily and slightly lowered her head in fear. "A-Alright..."

His dark eyes looked up at the gloomy and grey, observing the shape of the clouds. He took a deep breath before moving the black marks around his body. He had to keep doing this to show the Avatar cult he meant evil and harm. And with that, he put on another emotionless face and stepped out, ready to get the day over with.

**********

"What are you lot doing here?" Gray asked coldly, participating in hand to hand combat with the fire wizard.