25

Waking up from the nightmare was like crashing through a plate glass window. The razored shards of it seems to slice at Gray even as he pulled free and sat up, gasping. He rolled off the bed, instinctively wanting to get away, and hit the floor on his hands and knees. Air poured through the open window and cleared away the last, clinging tendrils of the dream. The first times he'd had the nightmare, he'd woken up and vomited. Now he was careful about not eating for hours before he went to sleep, so instead his body had its revenge on him by racking him with spasms of sickness and ever. A spasm hit him now, and he curled into a ball, gasping and dry-heaving until it passed. When it was over, he pressed his forehead against the cold stone floor. Sweat was coiling on his body, and he wondered, not idly, if eventually the dreams would kill him. He stared down at his hands. They were clean of blood. The bed was a mess, the sheets and blankets screwed into a tangled ball from his tossing and turning.

"Gray?" There stood a female capped with a waterfall of brown curls, who couldn't hide her surprise.

* * *

Gray felt his heart skip a beat. "Alexa...you're okay..."

In that moment her bleak of rage disappeared. The truth is, she marched over here to ask what the hell was going on between them. She was about to demand answers, preparing morals and disputes in her mind in her way. Once arrived, the brunette forced the door open, furiously stomped up the stairs and was about to unleash her long speech—until she saw Gray vulnerable on the floor. All her plans evaporated and the only thing on her mind was consoling him.

"Of course I'm okay." she whispered quietly, her voice lined with concern. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Thank god..." He sighed and sat back on his bed.

"I'm sorry if I scared you," Alexa cautiously took small steps to reach him. "I just couldn't leave things the way they were in the alley—"

"I'm actually glad you came." Gray said, burying his face into his hands, his breathing still adjusting.

"Tell me what's wrong."

The raven avoided her gaze and looked anywhere but her. "I-It's not that simple."

"Please, Gray." she insisted. "Let me help you."

For a moment, he had the same look on her face when he ran away and left her a few hours ago. But then his features softened—probably realizing that doing it again would be really messed up. His voice was quiet and slow as he said "I failed you, Alexa. I couldn't save you from Invel. You almost died, for God's sake! The reason why I stopped talking to you was because you deserve someone so much better who can—"

Alexa felt the bleak of rage return like a spark. "So this is all there is? Your stupid sense of judgment? I make choices for myself!" she raised her voice higher. "You do not have the right to choose for me!

"I can't believe someone like you can love me, because I don't deserve it," he whispered.

"Let's make things clear here and now: the one that doesn't deserve being lucky here is me. And with you I hit the jackpot, so don't tell me again that you can't believe me, because you're a miracle and I thank the universe everyday not only for having you in my life, but for letting you keep going with the stuff you had to face all alone." She smiled, caressing his face. "Just like how badly you want me, the only person I want is you—I don't want anyone else! Why is it so hard for you to understand that?"