17

SIX MONTHS LATER...

The pitter patter of the rain creates a shield around Alexa. She loved the rain, she always have. It conjures a sweet pattern upon her skin, the thousands of liquid globes reflecting the greenery of nature. It is cooling on this warm day, a welcome shower to add to the senses. If the rain is one drop it is millions, cascading from a confident sky. It is the sort of weather that washes everything anew, bringing deep puddles into which children splash. And in that happy congregation of water and air, is the sense of being alive, that from such beautiful simplicity comes everything we love, the flora, the fauna, the very essence of nature. Stepping out to call Gray, she shut her eyes. There come the drops steady and soft, falling from a sky of white velvet. They come altogether and yet as pioneers. And though she is soon quite wet, she inhaled deeply and enjoyed it.

Now I should probably tell you; Alexa and Gray had found a deserted home in this village after the guild's disbandment. However, living with Gray Fullbuster wasn't exactly as good as she pictured in her mind. They...distanced themselves—which was crazy since they've been living under the same roof for six months. His responses have been getting colder after each conversation. At first, he only spoke to Alexa to pass the salt across the dining table or asked what time it was. And now after a few months he's been going off somewhere without telling her and coming back unexpectedly. She's lucky to even get a glance from him these days. Alexa had never questioned him about it because she worried that it had something to do with grieving his late father. Instead, she'd deal with his coldness and keep quiet about the whole situation. She'd sit on the bathroom floor with a bottle of champagne in her hand and tears dripping down her face wondering if this had nothing to do with Silver and that she had done something wrong.

The only thing that kept her remotely calm was the kiss they shared. Alexa couldn't shake that memory off her mind. It still gave her butterflies in her stomach just thinking about it. Gray wouldn't have kissed if he didn't mean it...right? That was the only reason Alexa held onto and hoped with all her might.

She spotted him training in the forest, his clothes lying in a messy pile on the wet ground. Clearing her throat to gather her voice, she called out "Gray! You're gonna catch a cold if you stay any longer—"

The raven stood there unfazed, unaware of the sky mage's presence since he didn't hear her calling him. He was in his own world, observing the black marks that took over his body partly.

"What's happening to your body?" The familiar voice whispered, making the raven come back to his senses and whirl around with shocked eyes. He saw her hand out stretch to trace his left lightly, grazing the dark patterns.

Gray swatted her hand off his shoulder and started to walk away from her. "I'm fine."

The brunette was fed up. She couldn't take it anymore. She doesn't know what it is he's trying to accomplish with his cold demeanour but she has had enough. She has been nothing but nice to him—she has given him enough space and time lately but this has gone way too far. "Did I do something wrong to upset you?"

He stared at her wide-eyed and opened his mouth to say something, but quickly closed it and shrugged.

Rage throbbed in her like a heartbeat, the bottled up feelings she has wanted to come out. "What are you even doing? It's like you're trying to make me hate you for some sick delusional reason." Her temper sparked and anger stirred within Alexa's body. "Six months ago you were talking to me like I was someone special and now you're talking to me as if I meant nothing to you. I am not pushing you away, Gray. Why won't you just let me all the way inside your heart?"