Meeting The Ashtons

Start from the beginning

Callan huffed and asked "Then why are you still here?"

The old lady sighed, she paused for a bit and then said "Zelda was pregnant for the very first time. Everyone was excited for the arrival of the baby; the future Alpha; the heir to Ragnar's throne." She closed her eyes and a tiny drop escaped her eye.

"What happened?" Callan asked worriedly at the disheartened look of his grandmother. She slowly opened her eyes and gathered her strength with a deep breath.

"Zelda's pregnancy news spread like wildfire everywhere and with that followed a systematic attack routine of the ferals and some rival packs alternately. It was like everyone of them wanted to eliminate Ragnar's child. And that is what happened eventually!"

Callan stopped in his tracks when he heard the sentence. "W-What do you mean?"

"In one such battle... Zelda lost her first child."

Callan gasped in shock and pictured a distraught and shattered Luna Zelda. This meant that Einar was not the first child of the Alpha couple.

"The entire pack was devastated, especially Ragnar. That was the beginning of the series of misfortunes the pack had to endure."

"You mean there were more people who died! Who?"

The old lady weakly nodded "The loss of the child brought bad luck to the pack. There were no new mate pairs as not a single pack allowed their members to associate with us. The hunting grounds became limited due to encroachers as also the water source was almost depleting. In this great apathy it was poor Zelda who had suffered the most. After her first child she lost three more children..!"

Callan could not believe his ears. His eyes were wide while his mouth remained hung open in shock. There was only sympathy and compassion within him for the Luna. Unknown to him the weather around the place suddenly become cloudy with light showers pouring on the land.

"We elders took a tough decision and decided to accept the offer of the King to reside in his land to save the pack of some misery and bad omen. Ragnar and Zelda revolted against our decision. They urged us to stay and be united in those adverse times but we had made our minds. It took weeks to make them see reason but they finally understood our plight and let us go."

The accounts of the King from his grandmother and the people around were quite ironic. While every other person praised the emperor the Ashtons were not impressed by him it seemed. "You always say that the King is not to be trusted. In fact you have always warned us to be careful for our every visit. Is it something to do with what you are telling me?"

"Stanislas is a great liar. He wants to create fear among his peers and all the packs around the world. Every elder knows that this man wants to rule the world and would not shy from going to any lengths to achieve his dream. He has created hatred among people about a particular community and united the rest of the people. Now he is misguiding them into believing his every lie."

She put her basket on the ground and sat on the ground with her knees folded "For long we suspected that the King had something to do with the attacks on our pack. In fact there were a few evidences that Stanislas was behind this conspiracy but the other packs refused to believe us. The ones who did were scared for their own lives. Hence we could do nothing to confront him."

"I never knew that Alpha Ragnar had to suffer through all of this. It must have been terrible for him." Callan sat beside his grandmother a bit sad thinking about the ordeals alpha Ragnar had to go through as the leader of the pack. "I still don't understand. Why does he have you here still? I mean the pack does not possess any danger to him anymore. Then why?"