forty-one.

I sat at a desk, this not being the traditional courtroom as crowds of photographers and reporters stood behind me, the circular desk filled with members of the National Security council and Department of Defense and many members from the White House

The cameras were clicking behind me as people scrawled on their small notepads, my fiery red pantsuit contrasting against the amount of black in this room. Natasha had helped me pick it out, deciding I should make a statement by choosing the colour of danger in some of the most protected men in the country.

"Why haven't we yet heard from Captain Rogers?" The General asked, a sour look on his face S he leaned forward towards the thin mic that was positioned in front of him. "I don't know what there is left for him to say, I think the wreck in the middle of the Potomac made his point fairly eloquently" I said clearly, my voice better than it was a month ago, practically back to normal. I made sure my back was straight, moving my chair a tiny bit closer to the desk, all the people behind me following suit and taking a step closer to me, making the room seem even smaller.

"Well, he could explain how this country's expected to maintain its national security now that he and you have laid waste to our intelligence apparatus" The General countered me, his eyebrows raising, expecting me to be threatened and scared, but I've been alive for a lot longer than he has. "HYDRA was selling you lies, not intelligence" I told him, my voice holding a lot of passion behind it, though many of the other men around the desk started whispering to each other.

"Many of which you seem to have had a personal hand in telling" He countered, raising his voice a little as he pointed his finger into the table, anger lacing his voice as he scowled over at me, causing me to bite the inside of my cheek to stop myself from rising from my chair and kicking him in the face. I didn't reply to him, letting him continue on his vent to why I shouldn't have the power to protect his society anymore.

"Agent, you should know that there are some on this committee who feel, given your service record, both for this country and against it, that you belong in a penitentiary, not mouthing off on Capitol Hill" he said to me firmly, basically falling off of his chair as he got even closer to the microphone, the sound going a bit muffled.

"You're not gonna put me in a prison, you're not gonna put any of us in a prison" I started, shaking my head lightly as I pulled a condescending look, raising one eyebrow at him as he looked at me, ready to roll his eyes or scoff in my face. "You know why?" I added, cocking my head to the side as if I was talking to a child.

"Do enlighten us" he said, his nostrils flaring with anger at this point as he clasped his hands on the desk, propping his elbows up as he put his hands up to his face, looking at me with narrowed eyes. "Because you need us. Yes, the world is a vulnerable place, and yes, we helped make it that way, but we're also the ones best qualified to defend it" I stated, scrunching me nose for emphasis as I finished my sentence.

"So if you want to arrest me, arrest me. You'll know where to find me" I said finally, pushing my chair back as the wheels turned, standing up and moving around the chair, the photographers parting as I made my way out of the room, reporters shouting questions and my name at me as I walked straight out of the door, my heels clicking on the floor as I did so.

"Does this mean you're staying on The Avengers?" Someone shouted at me from behind me, the large group of people following me out of the room into the large circular hall, the Great Seal of the United States under my feet as I turned around, my hair whipping around as it fell down my shoulders.

"Damn right it does"

——

A/N: AND THATS A WRAP OF RECONCILIATION!!!
I would like to thank ALL OF YOU for still reading, I appreciate you all so much THANK YOU
I never thought I would get this far and I am overwhelmed with the amount of you saying you like my stories!
once again thank you for reading and keep scrolling or swiping for Book 4 title reveal!

A/N: AND THATS A WRAP OF RECONCILIATION!!!I would like to thank ALL OF YOU for still reading, I appreciate you all so much THANK YOU I never thought I would get this far and I am overwhelmed with the amount of you saying you like my stories! once ...