twenty-seven.

Everyone was gathered in what looked like the main room,tables with equipment on them scattered everywhere, Fury and Maria sitting at one of them, a briefcase in front of them

Everyone was gathered in what looked like the main room,tables with equipment on them scattered everywhere, Fury and Maria sitting at one of them, a briefcase in front of them. Natasha and I sat next to each other, me leaning back in my chair, still tired. There was water dripping from the roof somewhere, I couldn't tell where but I could heard it pinging into a metal bucket, the sound ringing through the whole entire place.

Steve and Sam stood next to each other, Sam smiling lightly at me as I tried to return it to the best of my abilities. Fury cleared his throat, reaching forward and picking up a photo from the top of the briefcase, it being Pierce's headshot from the SHIELD ID photos we took last year.

"This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize" Fury stared, throwing the picture back down onto the table, causing me to roll my eyes at the memory of Pierce boasting about the letter he received about the nomination. "He said, "Peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility." See, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues" Fury continued, looking straight at me as I adverted eye contact, looking down at the moulding floor.

I let out a loud sigh, the sound of the dropping water filing the room in the silence of us all contemplating. "We have to stop the launch" I breathed out, knowing that no one was going to pipe up, and that I had to say the obvious to at least get a conversation going. "I don't think the Council's accepting my calls anymore" Fury said to me, causing me to roll me eyes again.

"It's not exactly like either of us can just call in and make an appeal" I said rather curtly to him, causing him to reach forward, opening the briefcase with his one good arm and twisting it around to show us it all.
There was three chips sitting embedded in the box, all 4 of us staring at them with glazed eyes. "What's that?" Sam asked, shoving his hands into his jean pockets as he asked the question.

"Once the Helicarriers reach three thousand feet, they'll triangulate with Insight satellites becoming fully weaponized" Maria told us, 8 eyes turning to look at her. "We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own" Fury finished for her, pulling one of the chips out and holding it up to let us all see it properly.

"One or two won't cut it. We need to link all three carriers for this to work, because if even one of those ships remains operational a whole lot of people are gonna die" Maria told us, looking at the chip as well, presumably she was the one who designed the thing.

"We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is HYDRA. We need to get pass them, insert the server blades, and maybe, just maybe, we can salvage what's left" Fury clarified as he put the chip back into the briefcase gently, his hand shaking as he did so.

"We're not salvaging anything. We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick, we're taking down SHIELD" I said, Fury looking over at me and staring at me for a minute. "SHIELD had nothing to do with it" he countered, his voice defensive and cautious of my wariness.

"SHIELD's been compromised, you said so yourself. HYDRA grew right under our nose and nobody noticed" I replied, leaning back in my chair and crossing my arm, shaking my head to push my hair out of my face. "Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed" Fury said to me, raising from his chair and staring down at me, trying to intimidate me, but it wasn't working.

"And how many paid the price before you did?" I asked him, looking over at Steve briefly, finding him already looking at me, our emotions towards Fury at the moment the exact same. "Look, I didn't know about Barnes" he said to me, looking down at the table as he set his good hand on it.

At the mention of Bucky something in my heart clicked, my breathing sharpening. "Even if you have, would you have told me?" I asked him condescendingly, purposely pausing in between sentences. "Or would you have compartmentalized that too?" I continued, cocking my head to the side as I raised my eyebrow, staring straight back at him. He stared at me for a minute, not saying anything, the silence breaking as Maria clears her throat.

"You just need to get these chips into the helicarriers" she said, pointing at them and looking at all of us individually. "The law isn't with you on this one, SHIELD may be HYDRA but SHILED is still a government organisation" Steve said as he stepped forward, looking back at Natasha, Sam and I. Fury looked over at Sam, who shrugged his shoulders. "Don't look at me. I do what he does, just slower" He said as Fury nodded his head, looking at Natasha who nodded her head once, signaling that she was going to save SHIELD no matter what.

"Ally?" Steve asked me, looking over at me with his eyebrows raised. "When have I ever been on the right side of the law? Looks like you're giving the orders now, Captain"

——

A/N: I missed an update yesterday I know! i'm so sorry lmao
please vote and comment and I will hopefully see you tomorrow

A/N: I missed an update yesterday I know! i'm so sorry lmao please vote and comment and I will hopefully see you tomorrow