thirty-six.

My eyes opened slowly to the dull white painted room, a blue blanket covering my legs and a white hospital gown on

My eyes opened slowly to the dull white painted room, a blue blanket covering my legs and a white hospital gown on. My eyes darted around the hospital room, Natasha sitting in a chair by my bed, her feet up on the bed as she flicked through a magazine. There was a neck brace around my throat, and I hadn't tried to talk yet, but I knew for a fact I shouldn't.

I moved my eyes to look out of the shutter covered window, nurses and doctors walking past my room, all holding files and iPads as they made their way to patients all over the floor.

I moved my hand out, waving at Natasha who looked over at me, dropping the magazine onto the floor, rushing forward to my bed side. "Don't talk" she told me forcefully before looking out of the window at the people walking past. "I'm going to go find the doctor" she told me as she squeezed my hand before leaving the room.

A moment later she came back in, sitting back in her chair which she scooted closer to the bed. "Your trachea was torn, they had to surgically reconstruct it again. Your leg and collar bone were also broken but they fixed themselves a week ago" she told me, my eyebrows scrunching at her.

"It's been 2 weeks, the hellicarrier went down with you three in it. We found Steve at the bank of a river, you weren't too far away from him" she told me, pushing her red hair behind her ear. "We didn't find Bucky, there was no sign of him anywhere" she said quietly, looking over at me as I closed my eyes gently, opening them again as footsteps made it into the room.

I looked up to see Sam in a leather jacket standing at the end of my bed, a soft smile on his face, a small scar on his cheek which has healed in the past 3 weeks. "How you feeling?" He asked me, causing Natasha to shoot him a glare. "Sorry, I forgot" Sam apologised as he scratched the back of his neck, looking over at Natasha.

I raised my eyebrows at her, hoping that she would understand what I was trying to ask, she stared back at me for a minute before realising, nodding her head at me. "Steve's next door, he's not woken up yet" She said to me, to which I couldn't reply to. I had no idea what had happened after Bucky had strangled me, but apparently the helicarrier fell from the sky, so I'm surprised none of us were dead. "Clint's on his way down from Iowa" she told me, tilting her head to the side.

"You were Steve's emergency contact" Sam told me, causing me to look over at him once again. "The doctor has to discuss some things with you about him, sign a few forms" he told me, causing me to breath out through my nose, leaning my head back onto the pillow that was propped up behind me.

I closed my eyes, my brace digging in at the back of my neck. "Miss" a new voice said, causing me to open my eyes and look at the source of the voice, a Doctor standing at the door holding an iPad. "Ivankova" Natasha finished for him, to which he nodded his head, looking down at the iPad as he moved into the room. "Yes, sorry" he said quietly.

He clearly was still adjusting to the news that was posted on the internet a few weeks ago, and I was guessing that everyone else in the country was as well, maybe even the world. I didn't want to know what news sites were saying, nor what everything thought about me being on the Avengers.

"Your trachea was completely crushed, so we did a procedure called a Laryngotracheal reconstruction" he told me, putting his tablet under his arm as he looked over at me to see I was confused. "We basically took cartilage from your rips and widened your wind pipe back up" he told me, looking over at Natasha quickly before cleaning his throat, making eye contact with me again. "Your femur and collar bone were also fractured, but they seemed to heal themselves over a few days" he said to me, Natasha nodding her head in agreement.

"Yeah she tends to do that" Natasha whispered under her breath, Sam looking over at her before looking at me. I raised my eyebrows at him, causing him to nod his head as he looked over at the doctor. "She wants to know about Steve" Sam said for me, causing the doctor to nod his head, opening his tablet once again. "He had trauma to his skull, there was a small amount of water in his lungs but all in all nothing too serious. The constant blows to the head seemed to have knocked him out for quite a while now" he told me, as I stared blankly at him.

No one spoke in the room as I took in the news, silently hoping that Steve would sake up one day soon. "If that's all, someone will be round later to check on your throat" the doctor told me with another soft smile as he left the room, closing the door behind him. "Nothing too bad" Natasha said to me, grabbing my hand in hers and running her thumb over the back of my hand as she smiled at me brightly.

Nothing too bad except from the fact the love of my life was missing and my best friend was in a coma. My whole world was collapsing around me, and I couldn't do anything to stop it.

——

A/N: another day another chapter.
I made the cover for Book 4 today and can I say, it's definitely my favourite so far.
Please vote and comment and all that, I will see you all very soon.
P.s. have any of you noticed I have a new sign off? I like it much better than the old one lol

 have any of you noticed I have a new sign off? I like it much better than the old one lol