twenty-nine.

Sam, Natasha and I stood in an alleyway a block away from the Smithsonian, car horns blaring in the distance as the moon was bright against the night sky

Sam, Natasha and I stood in an alleyway a block away from the Smithsonian, car horns blaring in the distance as the moon was bright against the night sky. I leaned against the cold brick as Natasha kicked a small stone about the damp floor, the rattling the only noise filling the air. Sam was standing across from me his arms crossed and on high alert, ready to run at any given moment.

I pulled one foot up, resting it against the wall as I watched lights switch on and off from the apartment buildings above us. I never had the chance to go back to my apartment, knowing it would be the first place HYDRA would look for us. I had apartments all over the country, and SHIELD owned most of them, excluding my room in Avengers Tower obviously, but I know they probably went and searched my DC one since I spent the most time in it.

Footsteps approached us as a figure made their way up the alley, a baseball cap pulled over their head and a duffel bag thrown over their shoulder. I pushed myself off of the wall, Natasha turning around as we walked Steve pull the cap off of his head, holding it in his hand as he walked over to us. "Did you get them?" I asked, holding out my hands and taking the bag from him, balancing it on one leg as I attempted to unzip it with one hand.

As I opened it up, the star of the 40s Captain America uniform was staring back at me. "Your one is underneath it, it was easier to get it off of the mannequin" Steve said with a shy laugh as I held the bag out to him, telling him to hold it as I dug through it all, pushing his uniform and mines to the side, pulling out a leather jacket, the fur surrounding the collar as I ran my fingers through it, closing my eyes briefly. The fabric was still as soft as it used to be, presumably still very bulletproof as well. "Thank you" I said to Steve who looked over at me with a smile.

"No problem, they really need to up their security if you ask me" He replied to me as I pulled on Bucky's old leather jacket. I had asked Steve to grab it as well as both of our old mission suits from the war, I don't know what I was going to do with it, but I know that I wanted it for safe keeping. "I was going to take Dugan's bowler hat" Steve told me with a smile, causing me to smirk back at him. "He'd haunt us from his grave if you did" I retorted, knowing that Dugan hated it when you even touched his hat in the slightest.

"What's the plan for tomorrow?" Sam asked us, clearly not appreciating Steve and I joking with each other in such a tense atmosphere. I closed the bag up, throwing it over my shoulder and turning back to look at him, my emotions wiped clean and back to serious. "I'm going to leak the files, I should be able to encrypt them easily enough" I said slowly nodding my head as I looked over at Steve. "You're sure you can do it?" Steve asked me with a sceptical look, causing me to scoff at his response looking at Natasha who had the same look on her face as I did. "I made the thing, surely I can destroy it" I replied as Sam and Steve both nodded their heads in agreement.

"We need to deal with Rumlow" Natasha said simply, shrugging her shoulders. "I'll deal with him" Steve said crossing his arms and squaring off his shoulders, we all had a problem with Rumlow now, but I decided to hold my tongue and let Steve handle it. "I'll be glad to give Pierce a punch in the jaw for you" I said to Steve with a small grin, Natasha laughing lightly at me statement.

"One for me too please" She told me, throwing her hair over her shoulder. "You all need to know that after tomorrow" Steve started, taking a deep inhale before looking over at all of us. "Things are going to change for all of us" he said as I rolled my eyes lightly. "Save your inspirational speeches for tomorrow" I said with a chuckle as I walked past him, patting him on the chest as Natasha followed after me.

"We are definitely going to need them"

——

A/N: Hi guys, sorry i'm a few days late again i'm losing motivation at the moment but don't worry it'll pick up again eventually.
Please vote and comment and au will see you soon hopefully