thirteen.

Steve walking through the hospital a few feet in front of me, a grey hoodie pulled over his head as he tried to avoid all the SHILED personnel around him

Steve walking through the hospital a few feet in front of me, a grey hoodie pulled over his head as he tried to avoid all the SHILED personnel around him. I walked down the hall, smiling at all the agents that looked my way.

Technically I wasn't an enemy of SHIELD yet, and until they made that decision, I was still a director. I stopped against a wall as Steve stood in front of the vending machine, looking through the glass. "Hey" Natasha said from behind me, popping her gum in her mouth.

"Hi" I said, leaning against the wall as I looked over at her quickly before making eye contact with Steve. who watched as Natasha stared him dead in the eye and blew a bubble with her pink gum. "Come on" I said to her, grabbing her by the arm once I connected the dots, leading her into a supply cupboard, Steve following in after me and closing the door.

"What the hell, Nat?" I snapped at her, causing her to pop her gum at me, Steve marching towards her and pushing her into the wall behind her. "Where is it?" Steve husked at her, causing me to cross my arms and roll my eyes. "Safe" she said simply, causing me to pipe in.

"Do better" I told her, causing her to look at me before quickly looking back at Steve, blue meeting green as I watched on. "Where did you get it?" she spat at Steve, which caused him to hesitate, and any good agent knew as soon as your opponent hesitates, their lying.

"Why would I tell you?" Steve replied to her after missing a few beats, causing he to scoff. "Fury gave it to you. Why?" She asked him again instantly, which is a good agent move. I rolled my eyes, not even knowing what was so important on this USB drive, it wasn't the same one I gave him earlier, meaning he had multiple secret USB's.

"What's on it?" Steve asked her, clearly not even knowing himself, which didn't surprise me. Steve could barely work his phone let alone a computer to find out what was on a USB. "I don't know" Natasha said simply, shrugging her shoulders.

"Stop lying" Steve shouted at her in a hushed tone, not wanting people to know we were in here, or he was in here. "Steve" I started, thinking he was being a bit harsh with Natasha. Fury told him not to trust anyone, which he seemed to be taking seriously, but I knew Natasha better than anyone, we could trust her.

"I only act like I know everything, Rogers" She retorted back to him, neither of them listening to my protests. "I bet you knew Fury hired the pirates, didn't you?" Steve said to her, still trapping her against the wall by the arms. I looked out of the small window on the door, pushing the blinds apart to just see people walking about, no one caring.

"Well, it makes sense. The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do you" Natasha said with a shrug, causing Steve to get more assertive. "I'm not gonna ask you again" Steve repeated, causing her to snap without missing a single beat. "I know who killed Fury" she said to him, causing me to stiffen under her words.

"Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists, the ones who do call him the Winter Soldier. He's credited with over two dozen assassinations in the last fifty years" Natasha continued, causing me to finally think it was time to say something. "So he's a ghost story" Steve shrugged causing me to wipe my face with my hand.

"No he isn't" I said, both of them snapping their heads towards me, Steve letting go on Natasha as I looked back up at them. "1947, the Winter Soldier Initiative started at the HYDRA compound. I was used as a guinea pig for the serum he was getting" I started, Steve setting his hands on his hips as they both looked at me confused.

"They have him a prosthetic metal arm, he took my spot as Agent 1" I added on, clarifying that it was in fact the same person Steve say the other day. "Have you seen him?" Steve asks me, still not convinced it wasn't just a legend in the HYDRA ranks.

"1957, I broke into a lab while they were brainwashing him after a mission, they kept him in Cyro- freeze and get him out when they need him" I told them both, remembering the time I saw nothing but the arm and back of the assassin.

"My first mission of SHIELD, I was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran, somebody shot out my tires near Odessa. We lost control, went straight over a cliff, I pulled us out, but the Winter Soldier was there" I told them, leaving out the fact that the Engineer was supposed to kill me.

"He was sent to kill me after I left HYDRA to join SHEILD, they weren't happy that I was a traitor. He's not a ghost, he very much exists" I told them, nodding my head as they both looked at me with wide eyes and mouths slightly open. "Going after him is a dead end, HYDRA buried all of their tracks" I said quietly, shaking my head as I brought my arms up to me chest, hugging them.

"So in a way, he is a ghost story at the same time" I added on at the end, finishing my story. Natasha held up the hard drive in front of Steve, neither of them looking at each other, still staring at me in shock. Steve took it from her, pushing it into his pocket and keeping his hand on it, opening his mouth to finally talk.

"Well, let's find out what the ghost wants"

——

A/N: The ghost huh?
Second update today! I have a bunch of parts pre written so i might just fire a few out over the next two days, so get ready for multiple updates!
please vote and comment and I will see you soon