six.seven

WAKANDA, AFRICA

WAKANDA, AFRICA. 2017

AURORA found herself in Wakanda, looking around confused. She looked down at her hand holding the reality stone, gripping it tightly.

"Wanda's got to be around here somewhere," she mumbled before running off in the forest, grunting as she ran into a hard body, falling onto the ground.

"Aurora!" Aurora glanced up at the bearded man, groaning as he helped her up. She quickly noticed Natasha, Sam, Okoye, and T'Challa standing nearby.

"Thanos is coming any minute now! I've got to get Wanda to destroy one of the stones I stole from him," Aurora explained quickly, looking around. "Where am I exactly?" Before anyone could answer, Natasha noticed something.

"What the hell?" She asked. Bruce and Aurora saw the blue-black clouds of a space stone relocation just before Thanos stepped forward.

"Cap. That's him," Bruce said.

"Eyes up. Stay sharp," Steve ordered, Aurora rushing off. Bruce reached Thanos first, lunging forward fist-first only to have Thanos use the space stone on him, rendering him immaterial until the Hulkbuster is half-buried in the stone of the cliff behind him, and froze Bruce in place. Steve was sent flying by purple energy before he even got to strike a single blow. T'Challa leaped high and with claws extended, but was easily grabbed by the throat and punched to the ground. Sam stooped, strafing with both Steyr pistols, but was stopped like all the others. "Natasha! Where is Aurora?"

"I don't know, she ran off," Natasha answered as Rhodey joined the fight, firing his guns at Thanos until Thanos used the gauntlet to crush his armor around him and toss him aside. Bucky ran in firing, and was punched away by the power stone. Okoye activated the vibranium-powered elements on her spear and flung it; power stopped it inches from Thanos, and three her and it aside while wrapping Natasha in unescapable bands of earth. Groot stabbed his hands into the ground to wrap Thanos in cables of roots, which he broke easily.

"Holy shit!" Aurora screamed as she ran into Rocket, hearing the raccoon reply to her was insane. "Whatever the hell you are, get out of the way, I've got to go!" Aurora took off again, running to where she saw bright, glowing red. She found Wanda destroying the mind stone, and killing Vision. Steve slid under one blow and came up swinging his deployed arm-shields, punching Thanos in the gut and chin. He grabbed the gauntlet, keeping Thanos's fingers unclenched. Thanos looked very briefly impressed at Steve's efforts as he screamed before slamming a fist into his head and rendering him insensible. Wanda looked over her shoulder again and saw Thanos approaching unopposed. She swung her left hand around to fend him off with a stream of scarlet energy, and pushed him back despite his blue-purple energy shield, but then he started to make slow headway.

"It's all right. It's all right. I love you," Vision said softly, reminding Aurora of Peter back on Titan. As those words left Vision's mouth, the yellow mind stone finally started to crack. Vision's face was overcome by an expression of joyful peace, and as the crystal fragments completely, a pulse of pure yellow energy exploded from him, shuddering the trees for many meters around his epicentre, knocking Aurora back. Wanda's and Thanos's energy then subsided.

"I understand, my child. Better than anyone," Thanos said, walking closer to Wanda.

"You could never," Wanda snarled. Thanos reached down to presume to stroke her hair.

"Today, I lost more than you can know. But now is no time to mourn. Now... is no time at all." He reached forward, clenching the gauntlet, emerald filigree surrounding his wrist, making a gesture very similar to that Doctor Strange made when activating the Eye of Agamotto. Aurora's eyes widened as she realized Thanos had the time stone. She took off, running as far as she could. Although she could've flew faster, her flames would've drawn attention as she was rushing through a numerous amount of trees.

"Shit, shit, shit," Aurora mumbled as she ran towards an opening. Not so far away, Thanos brought his gauntleted hand up, slowly moving the mind stone over the second last empty setting, dropping it in. It was then that he noticed the reality stone was gone. He clenched his fist, using the space stone to transport himself in front of Aurora who let out a scream as he grabbed her by the neck.

"You are quite smart, aren't you?" Thanos said, tightening his grip on her neck. Aurora reached up for his face with her right hand, using all her energy to heat up her hand, burning Thanos' face. He grunted in pain, throwing the teen to the ground. She gripped the reality stone tightly, trying to stand up. "You are very much like your father."

"You son of a bitch," Aurora groaned before Thanos reached for her left hand, trying to pry her fingers apart. "I'm not giving you the stone." She heated up her hand, placing it on Thanos' gauntlet, trying her best to burn it. Thanos pulled his hand away from her, grabbing Okoye's nearby spear, stabbing Aurora in the chest. Feeling pain build up in her chest, Aurora released her grip on the stone, dropping it to the ground.

"I'm sorry it had to end this way," Thanos said, reaching down for the reality stone. Before he could grab it, a bright, white light shot through the sky, knocking Thanos onto the ground. As the light faded, Wren could be seen, punching Thanos further and further into the ground. Using the power stone, Thanos punched Wren into the air, the Harum landed next to Aurora. The purple Titan managed to get the reality stone this time, feeling the energy surge through him, much more than any time previous. His torso was wreathed with iridescent static and he bellowed from the sensations. Thanos studied the completed gauntlet, causing him to be unprepared as a massive bolt of lighting struck him, digging him into the ground and grinding him back for meters.

Thor had arrived, eyes glowing with power, pausing his attack, reversing his position, and raising Stormbreaker above his head and hurling it. Thanos fired the whole might of the gauntlet against it, but it only created a rainbow-like bowshock, not slowing the axe as it slammed right into Thanos' chest. Aurora took a sharp breath as Wren groaned, sitting up. Thor landed in front of Thanos who was down on one knee.

"I told you. You'd die for that!" He took hold of the back of Thanos's head and forced Stormbreaker deeper into his chest, staring angrily into his eyes while Thanos cried out in pain.

"You should have... You... You should have gone for the head!" Thanos raised his gauntlet and snapped his fingers. Aurora's eyes widened before she passed out, Wren standing up quickly.

"No!" The gauntlet was now scorched and distorted from heat, the stones no longer glowing. "What'd you do? What'd you do?" Thanos nearly seemed to not notice Thor before he used the space stone and teleported away, leaving Stormbreaker behind on Wakandan ground. Steve stumbled into the clearing, holding his left side as Wren rushed over to Aurora.

"Where'd he go? Thor... where'd he go?" Steve asked.

"Rory, sweetheart, my have you grown. Stay with me," Wren said in a soothing tone, holding the teen in her arms.

"Steve?" Bucky asked, suddenly stumbling over, and collapsing into ashes, much to Steve's shock. He walked over and touched the ground where Bucky's ashes evaporated unbelievingly.

"It is too late, I failed," Wren whispered as people began to turn to ash; T'Challa, Sam, Wanda, and Groot joining Bucky among many others. Wren looked down at Rory, using her laser eyes to cut the spear in half, getting most of it out of Rory's chest. She then applied pressure to the wound, using her cardigan she had on.

"What is this? What the hell is happening?" Rhodey asked as the remaining Avengers looked around in shock.

"Oh, God," Steve said, sitting next to Vision's body.