two.two

PRISON

PRISON. 2014

ZARIA huffed as she walked alongside Rocket, Quill, Groot, and Gamora. Her tech was taken, meaning she couldn't communicate with Lyra.

"I guess most of Nova Corps wanna uphold the laws, but these ones here, they're corrupt and cruel. But, hey, that's not my problem. I ain't gonna be here long. I've escape 22 prisons. This one's no different. You're lucky the broad showed up, because otherwise, me and Groot would be collecting that bounty right now, and you'd be getting drawn and quartered by Yondu and those Ravagers," Rocket told Quill.

"I've had a lot of folks try to kill me over the years. I ain't about to be brought down by a tree and a talking raccoon."

"Hold. What's a raccoon?" Rocket asked, throwing Quill a curveball.

"'What's a raccoon?' It's what you are, stupid."

"Oh shut the fuck up Quill, clearly he's not a normal raccoon!" Zaria growled, causing Quill's eyes to widen before he moved on to a new conversation.

"So, this orb has a real shiny blue suitcase, Ark of the covenant, Maltese Falcon sort of vibe. What is it?"

"I am Groot."

"So what? What's the Orb?" Quill asked.

"I have no words for an honorless thief," Gamora said, both Rocket and Zaria sending the alien nasty looks.

"Pretty high and mighty coming from the lackey of a genocidal maniac. Yeah, I know who you are. Anyone who's anyone knows who you are."

"Yeah, we know who you are. Who is she?"

"I am Groot," Groot replied. Zaria exhaled loudly.

"Yeah, you said that," Quill told Groot, clearly annoyed with the tree.

"I wasn't retrieving the orb for Ronan. I was betraying him. I had an agreement to sell it to a third party," Gamora said, Zaria scoffing, narrowing her eyes at the green woman.

"Sure you were, daughter of Thanos. Unlike you, I need the orb for good. My home planet is in desperate need of that stone to stop the power-hungry Gods who are over running it!" Zaria growled, her face a mere few inches from Gamora. She turned to Quill. "The orb is actually an infinity stone, one of six. Thanos's daughter was going to give it to her dad, the genocidal maniac Rocket was talking about early. It's the power stone, meaning whoever wields it is practically the most powerful person," Zaria explained.

"I am Groot."

"Well, that's just as fascinating as the first 89 times you told me that. What is wrong with Giving Tree, here?" Zaria elbowed Quill, causing him to stumble.

"Well, he don't know talking good like me and you. So his vocabulistics is limited to 'I' and 'am' and 'Groot'. Exclusively in that order."

"I tell you what, that's gonna wear real thin, a real fast," Quill said.