one.five

AFGHANISTAN, ASIA

AFGHANISTAN, ASIA. 2010

IT was the next day and guards poured over a map, discussing heatedly. Others cleaned and re-assemble weapons. Khalid kept watching at the monitors. On the monitor, Yinsen was labouring furiously behind the jig. Raza entered, wiping his face and neck with a towel. He drifted to the monitors, observing. Troubled he leaned in, staring intently.
Yinsen was still going like hell behind the jig.

"Khalid. Where is Stark? Where is Fire-girl?" Raza asked in Urdu, tapping the monitor.

KHALID arrived at the cave, pulling the slat aside and peeking in. He glimpsed a disembodied Yinsen working behind the jig.

"Yinsen! Yinsen!" Khalid exclaimed, Yinsen ignoring him, continuing to work. In the door-slat. Below, the IED 44 cylinder, a propane tank Tony filled earlier, was rigged to the door-latch. Khalid turned to his men, who ratcheted their guns. He unlocked the door, but it wouldn't open. He shouldered it and — the door exploded in his face causing Smoke and debris. Looking at the laptop screen, Tony and Aurora saw the program bars loading slowly.

"It's frozen, the systems aren't talking to each other. Reset!" Tony exclaimed.

"No, they're moving. Very slow," Yinsen said. A bulky chest piece was being lowered over Tony and a curled-up Aurora, trying to be as small as possible. The staccato whine of pneumatics tool as Yinsen sealed the pair in. Meanwhile, Raza's men cautiously approached the lab. Yinsen eyed the laptop, the bars creeping ever so slowly. He turned, listening to the shouting men outside grow louder.

"Get to your cover. Remember the checkpoints — make sure each one is clear before you follow us out." Making a quick decision, Yinsen ran out. "Yinsen!" Aurora held her breath, wrapping her tiny arms around Tony. Trapped in the suit, Tony and Aurora watched the loading bars on the laptop get close. Suddenly — multiple bursts of gunfire were heard. Tony throwing a look at Aurora. They both knew what happened.

"Let's do this, for Yinsen," Aurora mumbled. The loading bars on the laptop finished their cycle and — a surge of power to the suit dimming the lights. Aurora let out a small smile. The lights dimmed to darkness. Outside of the lab, Raza's guards, scared, inched up on the lab. Two of them broke off and moved forward. The two guards entered the dark, smoky lab cautiously. It appeared deserted. Then, a guard stopped, turning slowly — in the dark, an eerie glow, twin flames. The scream of surging metal. As the two Insurgents screamed and were flung back out, the other guards fired wildly into the lab. As they re-loaded — the thump and screech of metal caught their attention. A glowing chest plate, a flicker of blue pilot lights, and finally, out of the smoke, the complete nightmare vision — Ironman — the original grey armour.

The Insurgents back-pedalled, firing, but Tony and Aurora kept coming, feet crunching on the cave floor. The crazy streak of tracers bounced off Tony and Aurora. An Insurgent jumped from a side-corridor, firing his pistol point-blank at the back of Tony's head. The bullet ricocheted back, killing the man instantly. As Tony clumped towards the light of freedom, Insurgents spilled out of nooks, in front of him, behind him, firing. Tony's arms swivelled, knocking Guards down, absorbing countless rounds while Aurora gripped onto him tightly, horrified. The suit was shredding, smoking, and pockmarked. Tony turned into the main chamber and saw Yinsen on the ground.

"Stop! Stop!" Yinsen shouted. Tony stopped and an RPG whizzed past his nose, exploding in the wall next to him. He turned to see Raza, in the intersecting tunnel, calmly loading another RPG. Tony primed his flame throwers, but they malfunctioned. Both men square off. Raza aimed, but Aurora squirmed her way over to an open area, allowing her hand to create fireballs to shoot at Raza. Raza flattened as twin plumes of fire enveloped him. He screamed, grabbing a dead soldier's as a shield. Tony turned, clearing Insurgents out of the tunnels with Aurora's fireballs. Then they returned to Yinsen.

"We could've made it. Both of us. You could've seen your family again," Tony told Yinsen.

"I am going to see them again. They're waiting for me." Both Tony and Aurora understood — Yinsen's family was dead. "Don't lose each other." Yinsen grinned, sagging into himself, dead. Rage overtook Tony while grief overtook Aurora. He steamed towards the exit, roaring.

Raza's men fled as a deluge of flame shot from the tunnel. Aurora and Tony emerge, the gray armour scarred and sizzling. Insurgents kept firing, trying to draw them from the massive ammo dump under the camouflage. But Tony was relentless, moving towards it. Aurora began to throw fireballs on the crates. They began to burn — the Stark logos eaten by flames. A withering barrage of gunfire knocked Tony to his knees, Aurora slipping and catching the metal arm on fire. Another bullet caught a seam and entered his shoulder. A third bullet came, hitting Aurora's left leg. Tony struggled back to his feet. He pushed further into the maze, getting Aurora to torch everything. More gunfire pinged and ricocheted off them, pieces of the gray armour beginning to come loose. Tony opened a metal flap on his arm, flipping a red switch. A whine built to a roar. Tony tucked, angling forward as heel-boosters glowed white-hot, kicking up desert plumes and then he blasted off like a missile, rising hundreds of feet. The first ammo dump ignited. Then another and another, fire rose to join in a hellish conflagration, barely outpacing the fireball. Tony and Aurora cleared the mountain ridge by inches, and then his boosters were suddenly spent. They plunged like a human cannonball.

Tony and Aurora thudded into the sand, pieces of the armour splitting away. Dazed, Tony struggled from the exoskeleton. Aurora screamed out in pain, looking down at her left leg. She could feel the bullet, she could feel her legs. Tony staggered into the dunes, away from the smoke and distant explosions. Torn up, clutching bullet wounds, both Aurora and Tony fell, getting back up and continuing their hike.