five.eight

CANADA, NORTH AMERICA

CANADA, NORTH AMERICA. 5026

TWO years had passed and not much had changed for Zaria and the world. The Titans became stronger, more of the world's survivors trying to flee to Canada or giving in and living under the order of the Titans. She was currently humming along to some old music, planning her mission to the past. The human had just finished imputing what she knew about the soul stone into an holographic notebook as Stanley walked in.

"Ah, the soul stone. How much do you know?" He asked as a holographic hand scribbled into a notebook similar to Zaria's.

"Vormir, that's where they found the stone in 2018. It's also where that Gamora chick died. 'A soul for a soul' as that Red Skull dude said," Zaria explained, standing up and turning down the music that was playing from an 'ancient' CD player.

"Good, so you know you must lose that which you love in order to retrieve the stone." Zaria's eyes widened when Stanley paraphrased the words Red Skull had said in the documents. She spun around on her heals, walking up to the doctor with a finger pointed at his face.

"I will not kill my mother, sister, or Wren for the soul stone and you can't make me," the brunette exclaimed, her voice cold and booming. Stanley simply backed up, walking around Zaria, the holographic hand following him.

"I recall you saying 'whatever it takes'. It will take you killing one of the three, so who will it be?" Zaria couldn't help but look at the man like he was crazy. Asking someone to choose between killing their mother, sister, or best 'friend' was an insane thing to do. "Your mother raised you, alone no less as your father left her after learning of your presence. Your sister is your only sibling, just a child. Finally Wren, she's protecting our world and is the last Harum in existence, killing her would make her kind extinct. You must choose, who will you kill?"

"You're psychotic Doctor, psychotic!" Stanley ignored her cries, continuing to ask her who she would kill for the stone.

"You haven't seen Aurora in years, no deep connection, besides, weren't you against Lorelei having a baby? Is it Aurora you would kill? What about Wren? You said you'd never be together, so why not kill her for the stone? Who would you kill?" His voice became louder and louder as he continued grilling the woman, Zaria shaking her head and covering her ears.

"No! I said I'd do anything, kill myself even, but not them! I can't kill one of them!" She cried, tears pouring down her cheeks as she continued to shake her head 'no'.

"Who will you sacrifice for the stone!?!" Doctor Stanley shouted.

"My mother!" Zaria screamed, sobbing after the words left her mouth. She collapsed into a ball, hands covering her face as she continued to sob.

"Good, you're ready," Stanley said calmly, turning towards his holographic hand and notebook. "Write down my new formula for the flux capacitor and test it," he ordered, Zaria looking up at him, tears still rolling down her cheeks. Stanley turned back to the emotional wrecked woman. "You don't have to kill your mother, sister, or Wren. That was a test, one you nearly failed."