six.five

TITAN

TITAN. 2017

AFTER hearing about only one outcome where they win, Aurora tried her best to speak to Peter alone but every time she got stopped. Thanos was coming and they had to get ready as this was the most important battle of the heroes' lives.

"Pete, before we fight Thanos, I need to tell you something," Aurora started, finding herself getting lost in Peter's chocolate brown eyes.

"Yeah Rory?"

"I — you're my best friend and one of the greatest people I know and I — I — "

"Rory, over here!" Mantis called out, Aurora sighing as she was once again stopped. Before running over to join Mantis, the girl found herself wrapping her arms around Peter, holding him tightly.

"Promise me you won't die?"

"I promise Rory, I'll always be here for you," Peter said as Aurora let him go, rushing over Mantis. As she reached her position, Thanos arrived, finding only fresh debris from Ebony Maw's ship.

"Oh, yeah, you're much more of a 'Thanos'," Doctor Strange said, sitting on some steps.

"I take it the Maw is dead. This day extracts a heavy toll. Still, he accomplished his mission."

"You may regret that. He brought you face-to-face with the Master of the Mystic Arts."

"And where do you think he brought you?" Quill crouched behind wreckage with his weapon ready, behind Thanos and to his left; Peter peeked from above and behind Doctor Strange.

"Let me guess. Your home?"

"It was. And it was beautiful," Thanos said, smiling reminiscently. He curled his gauntleted fist and activated the reality stone to show Strange Titan before it was destroyed — green lawns, intact buildings, water-filled ponds, strolling citizens, the jack-like structures hovering and connected to the ground-based buildings with beams of energy. "Titan was like most planets. Too many mouths, and not enough to go around. And when we faced extinction, I offered a solution."

"Genocide."

"But at random, dispassionate, fair to rich and poor alike. They called me a madman. And what I predicted came to pass." Thanos relaxed his fist; the stone stopped glowing and the illusion faded back into the true state of Titan.

"Congratulations. You're a prophet," Strange said sarcastically.

"I'm a survivor."

"Who wants to murder trillions."

"With all six stones, I could simply snap my fingers, and they would all cease to exist. I call that... mercy," Thanos said as Strange stood.

"And then what?"

"I finally rest... and watch the sun rise on a grateful universe. The hardest choices require the strongest wills." Strange summoned his Mandalas, entering a fighting pose.