Keith - "Moonlight"

Start from the beginning

He nodded at his answer, "Ah, right, I was told he might bring you along."

Keith, obviously having no clue how to proceed with the conversation, just shrugged, lips pressed together, and the guy, in turn, chuckled under his breath at the teen's attempt at a response, "Alright, I'll let you in, give me a minute."

Keith watched as the man then lightly jogged back to the front gate before reaching to open a small panel on the wall and punching in a few buttons before the ordinate metal gates in front of them slowly began to open with barely a sound.

Keith gave a subtle wave as Shiro put the vehicle back into drive, slowly inching forward as they were let in, his own attempt at saying "Thanks," before they drove out of sight.

The guy gave a small wave back with a smile, "No problem, kid."

Keith rolled the window back up before he could say anything else, he might've been the one to ask where they were, but it didn't mean he considered himself any good at talking to people.

He looked back to Shiro who seemed to be faring just a little better now that they were inside the gate. Brown eyes just a little calmer, his prosthetic wasn't putting an indent in anything, but Keith didn't miss the man's fingers tightening ever-so-slightly over the wheel as he followed the winding driveway, and Keith smirked at his reaction to this whole thing.

Shiro frowned, catching Keith's expression out of the corner of his eye, "What? What's so funny?"

"Oh nothing," Keith shook his head, "I just thought you would've seen a front gate before. You have, haven't you?" He asked in a mocking tone, attempting to lighten the mood a little before they arrived.

His smirk grew as Shiro's eyes widened at the prod, "I have! I just wasn't expecting Allura to live here of all places, and we're just doing homework, why would she invite me to her house, if all places if it looks like this?" He gestured with one hand to the sprawling driveway, his voice shaking with nerves, the house itself still hidden behind the trees as Shiro drove on.

Keith rolled his eyes at his response, "Her dad is head of one of the biggest companies in the world, Shiro, what were you expecting? A shack?"

Shiro spluttered, "I- no, I just wasn't expecting-" his voice tapered off as he lost his train of thought, eyes growing distant.

Keith raised an eyebrow, "You were expecting a shack weren't you?"

"No."

"Right."

"I wasn't expecting a shack, Keith."

"Sure, sure whatever you say," he smirked again, pushing back into his seat, the seat belt rubbing into his neck at the action and Keith frowned as the driveway continued. How long was this thing anyway? "Besides, this is your last year of college, Shiro, why are you just now deciding to offer her help with homework anyway?"

He caught Shiro's face reddening out of the corner of his eye and Keith smirked, knowing he hit the right button. "I- I don't know, I haven't really seen her since this year," the man mumbled, looking down at the road.

Despite the obvious lie in his brother's answer, Keith crossed his arms over his chest instead of pressing on the matter, sliding further down in the seat. In all honesty, Keith was happy that Shiro was finally getting somewhere, it made him feel just a little better about being in the guy's life without feeling like a burden to him. But this whole thing couldn't help but spark his worry about what would happen after. Would Shiro still want him around? Keith was still seventeen, he had one more year to go before he could legally get out of his hair without it being a huge problem.