59

Their story was complicated.

It started out dark and eerie, there were monsters; little people tapping at the ground and chanting. They were torturing a man, beating him senseless, and all he could do to defend himself was to have his elbow shield his eyes. They left him on the ground and stomped away laughing. I knew they were only acting but for some reason it made my heart ache.

The main character, a lady, she was pretty; she had a soft voice, was young and petite. Only five minutes into the production and we learn that she was sold.

Truthfully, I thought they were going to sell her into prostitution, but I was wrong. They sold her off to a wealthy family. The elderly couple had a son, whom wanted the girl.

It was confusing, the plot. As the audience, we were all unaware of where she was being led too, the men who had taken her, bringing her to her new owners.

They wrapped ropes around her arms, put a bag over her head and stuffed her in a vehicle. However, I don’t know if I was the only one to notice, but what I found strange was that she didn't struggle, she didn't resist when they took her... it was like she waited for what the future had in store for her. It looked wrong...

The lady didn’t say a word, maybe she was dead, (I thought,) but what I told myself was that she perhaps was in shock or possibly unconscious.

See, and that's what I happened to like about Broadway, it felt like you were actually in the production, I  felt like I was right on stage with the actors and incorporated in their scenes.

Throughout the whole show, I could ashamedly admit that I was on the tip of my toes, my back arched and away from my chair like I could fall off it. I would gasp, whisper and shriek when a certain something happened.

I don’t know if it was because the actors and actresses played their part well or if I was just really into Broadway shows and I had yet to figure it out, but once the show was over, I felt so empty, like it shouldn’t have ended.

It was an awful ending. The petite girl fell in love with her captor and his family. It ended with them being happy together.

I guess it seems absurd that I disliked the ending, but the show started out so dark… you’d think the ending would end off miserable, but no. It ended with a kiss on the lips and his hand on her waist.

It just shouldn’t have ended like that.

I was too caught up in overthinking the whole production, thinking of a better ending or how they could have changed it to be more realistic, to even notice Harry had been tapping away at my thigh or even that I forgot to give an applause.

He looked right at me, lips parted and breathing heavily, his eyes showed passion and I don’t know why, that ending was awful. He obviously loved it or it looked like he did.

I cleared my throat and sat straight, slightly embarrassed to be seen so infatuated with the performance.

“Have you enjoyed it?” Harry asks.

I nod my head and grab my purse off the table, “yes, thank you for taking me. It was unforgettable.” I smile.

Harry smiles wide; he stands up and grabs my hand. The show finished minutes ago and we’re apart of only a few people who stayed after the show. Harry rushes us both, directing us to the stage and I gasp, whispering a “Harry!” when we’ve climbed up the steps and are on center stage.

Harry pulls me close to him and whispers in my ear. “I’ve got to introduce you to the actors.”

I nod quite frantically. How exciting, I grin.