45

I watch as Harry swallows and looks intently at the telephone. "Hand it to me."

He places the phone between his shoulder and ear, pressing on it as it rests on his shoulder.

"Hello," he says. He looks up to me and removes my fingers from my mouth and he tries to get me to smile as he pinches my lips but I can't seem to fathom the fact that he's on the phone with Julian, my oldest, soccer-playing, bad-hearted, manipulative, deceitful nephew. This is no time to be smiling.

"She's well." Harry says looking at me and then to the ground.

"Okay?" Harry says next, he looks over at the maid and shoos her out of the room. She nods and leaves our sight.

I place my hands on my lap, which also happens to be Harry's lap, and I move my head a little closer to the phone, in order to hear Julian's end of the line.

"Well, that won't be necessary. We'll be going out tonight and the rest of our days are busy. So no, thank you."

Harry's response could only mean one thing: has Julian asked to see me?

My curiosity gets to the best of me as I find myself pressing my ear right against the telephone. Harry seems to get annoyed and starts to shift away from me, leaving me alone on the couch as he stands up.

"Now, you don't need to know that." Harry tells Julian. He puts one hand on his hip and starts to walk around the glass coffee table, slowly.

"Enough of this, goodbye." Harry says quickly, pressing the end button on the phone. I can only assume he hung up on Julian. He throws the phone onto the couch.

I look up at Harry to see him let out a long sigh. He covers his face with his hands and slides them down from his forehead to his chin. He looks at me and I have to ask, "what'd he say?"

He lets out another sigh. "Nothing."

I let my feet hit the floor and I walk over to him, crossing my hands.

"Harry... What did he say?"

Harry shakes his head and gives me a small but quick smile. "Nothing for you to worry about."

I literally want Harry to tell me every single thing that was discussed in those two short minutes of a phone call but if he thinks it's best that I don't know, then so be it.

He grabs my hand and pulls it to his chest. He brings my body close to his and rests his hands on my waist. "Now, why don't we eat? Hm? Breakfast is on the table."

I nod at him.

I feel like I should be upset with Harry... I just want to know what Julian had said. It's been a while since I last spoke to him and then he so randomly calls... I have to know why.

He holds my hand and together we walk to the kitchen where we sit at the dinning table that is filled with foods like bananas and ham/cheese omelets.

Harry grabs us both plates and begins to put the same food on my plate and his.

His kind gesture has placed a thought into my head - why would I want to be upset with him? Who cares about what Julian has said? Harry is truly a good man at heart.

But I still can't help but ask, "did he say anything about me?"

The eating utensils that Harry just picked up; drop onto the table. He looks at me from his seat, which is across from mine.

"Your name wasn't mentioned. Now, eat."

I pick up my fork; I should've just kept my mouth shut.