The Enemies Return

*3rd Person's POV*

"Want to head back?" Sasuke asked.

"Sure!!" Naruto agreed.

~scene change~

Shiro looked over watching as Naruto and Sasuke come walking in.

"So, you're finally back! Lookin' like something the cat dragged in!"

"Heh... Both of us..."

"We made it to the top of the tree."

"Good! Naruto, Sasuke, starting tomorrow... You two can help Sakura and Shiro protect Mr. Tazuna." Kakashi said.

"Yes, sir!"

"Whew! Well, I'm dirty, sweaty, and real worn out from all the work on the bridge today... But construction is almost complete." Tazuna states.

"Father, you and Naruto are two of a kind. Please don't work yourselves to death!" Tsunami said.

"Ooohh!"

"Yep."

Shiro watched as Naruto slowly fell asleep on the table.

Shu and Hide yawned as they started to lean against each other, their eyes drooping.

Shiro glanced over and smiled.

"Go up to the room, I'll be up there in a few minutes."

"Yes, papa." Shu and Hide mumbled as they left the room to head towards the room Shiro was sleeping in.

Inari looked at Naruto, tears swelling up in his eyes.

Naruto realized he was being stared up and opened his eyes.

"What's wrong?" Naruto asked.

"Why do you wear yourself out trying? No matter how hard you train, you'll never be a match for Gato's thugs! You act all cool, and you talk all tough... But big, strong guys like that are always too much for people weaker than they are. They'll destroy you!!" Inari shouted.

Shocked silence was heard.

Shiro tiredly sighed, rubbing his eyes.

"Shut up! I'm not you, and I'm not gonna lose!" Naruto replied.

"Just watching you ticks me off! You go running your mouth when you don't know a thing! This isn't your town! And you don't know a thing about me. You're always clowning around and having fun. You don't know a thing about suffering or loneliness or what my life is like!" Inari cried out.

Shiro lifted his gaze and looked between Naruto and Inari.

"So... You figure it's noble to star in a melodrama and treat everyone around you like guests at your pity party?" Naruto questioned.

"Naruto..." Shiro whispered.

"It takes a really big man to sit around and cry... You brat! You big baby!!"

Inari sat there, tears going down his cheeks.

"Naruto! You went too far!" Sakura said as Naruto got up off the chair.

~timeskip~

"May I join you...?" Kakashi asked as he looked down at Inari.

"You know, Naruto's kind of a brat, but he wasn't trying to be mean or hateful... He just... Lacks finesse... Mr. Tazuna told us about what happened to your father. Naruto grew up without a father, same as you. Actually, without any parents. He doesn't remember either one of them. Or have a single friend until Shiro came along at the age of eight. His whole life is one big, painful memory." Kakashi said.

"R-really?" Inari asked.

"And in time I've known him, I've never seen him cry. Or use his troubles as an excuse to sulk or be a coward. Not once. He always... Tries his hardest, hoping someone will notice and give him a kind word or a pat on the back. That's his dream, and he's risked his life for it. I think one day he must have just gotten fed up with crying. He understands what it means to be strong. He knows what it costs and what it's worth... Just as your father did. Naruto probably understands you and knows how you feel better than the rest of us." Kakashi answered.

"What?" Inari replied.

"He can't leave you alone... Because you've gotten under his skin."

~timeskip~

"Well! Please take care of Naruto! He's worn himself out. I doubt he'll be able to move for the rest of the day."

"We're off, Tsunami." Tazuna said.

"Bye."

~scene change~

"Are you ready to attack?! Zabuza, pay attention!!!"

"Time to go, Haku."

"Of course."

~back with Naruto~

"What th--?! I over slept!! Hey! Hello?! Where'd everybody go?"

"Oh! Naruto, what are you doing up? Kakashi-sensei wanted you to take today off." Tsunami asked.

Naruto went to a room and changed into clothes.

"Oooh! I knew it! First chance they get, they leave me behind!!" Naruto states.

"I'm outta here!"

~scene change~

"Jeez! Why didn't they wake me?!"

Naruto heard rustling.

"Hey?

~scene change~

"Wh-what the hell...?"

Tazuna and everyone else stared at the men, that had some of them fainted.

"What happened?! What... Could have...?!" Tazuna asked.

"M-monsters..."

~with Tsunami~

"Inari, could you please help me do the laundry?"

"Okay, mom. But I'm in the bathroom now!!"

Two men were outside, with katanas in their possession.

~with Kakashi and the others~

A sudden mist came swirling in.

"They're coming!!"

Everyone got ready to fight.

"Kakashi-sensei, is this...? That man we met... His "hiding in the mist" technique isn't it?" Sakura asked.

Shiro was lucky he sent Shu and Hide off berry picking before he got here before the others since he didn't want them to be killed.

Sasuke was shivering.

"Been a while, Kakashi... And I see you've got those brats tagging along, just like last time. And the little boy did trembling again, poor thing..." Zabuza said, before clones appeared before them.

"I'm shaking with eagerness for a rematch!" Sasuke replied.

One of the clones were in front of a slightly freaked out Tazuna.

"Go ahead... Sasuke." Naruto said.

Sasuke attacked all the clones, making them turn into water.

Shiro shivered as it got on to him.

"Should've been a little more careful, I don't wanna get sick." Shiro mumbled.

"Well! My water clones were obviously no match for you! It seems the brats have matured quite a bit... Into worthy rivals... Eh, Haku?" Zabuza said.

"Indeed!" Haku agreed.

Shiro gripped the kunai in his hand, as he narrowed his eyes at the two enemies in front of him.

"It seems the brat has matured into a worthy rival... Eh, Haku?"

"Indeed!"