123

All of the questions that had built up in me since I first realized who Millie was started pouring out of my mouth uncontrollably. 

"How did you bring me into this? What is going on? How is Millie a vampire? Why did she say that she has your blood running through her veins? If you didn't change her, then who did? Why does she want to kill me? Just because you love me? Are you going to be able to keep me safe? And how did Jeff get hurt when she was coming at m-"

 Colby pressed his lips against mine, hard, effectively shutting me up.

 I brought my arms around his neck, burying them in his hair, while his arms tightened around my waist.

When he finally broke the kiss, I was breathing heavily.

 "How about we talk about all of that back at the house?"

 I nodded, keeping my mouth closed. I knew as soon as I opened it again, the questions would just continue. My brain was going one hundred miles per hour with so many things that I didn't understand.

Who knew that life was going to get so complicated just because I fell in love with a vampire? I shook my head at myself.

Literally, everyone would know that because it's totally normal, right? Now I was being sarcastic to myself. Wonderful.

"You don't have to come to work tomorrow Chloe," Jeff called out as Colby and I walked to the door, hand in hand.

 I turned back to him, and tilted my head.

"I don't think I'm coming back at all Jeff. This place is dangerous to my health. I quit." I tossed my hand up at him, leaving him speechless and let Colby pull me from the building.

He was laughing by the time our feet hit the concrete.

"So no more coffee shop?"

 I shook my head. "Hell no. I've had nothing but problems with this place. Wasn't the right fit for me anyways. I think I'll keep trying with the publishing houses...especially Prospect Park. If I could get in there..." I trailed off, letting the dream float away.

That more than likely wouldn't happen, and even if I could get a job there, there was  100% a chance that they would never read my work. No sense in getting my hopes up for nothing.

Colby wrapped his arm around my shoulders as we walked to my car.

"Whatever you want, you'll get. I promise."

 I glanced up at him in disbelief. "You don't know that and that's a very unrealistic thing to say. Thank you though." I leaned up and kissed his cheek, before getting in the passenger side of my car.

He walked to the driver's side, climbed in, and I passed him the keys. I didn't want to drive. Wasn't sure that I could right now.

The small bit of normalcy that just occurred in the walk to my car seemed forced, and I just wasn't up for pretending that everything was okay right now. I laid my seat back and closed my eyes, not wanting to talk about anything until we got to the house. I planned on asking my questions around everyone so that he couldn't lie to me or keep things from me.

 Even if he were doing it to protect me, I deserved to know what the hell was going on. Surprisingly enough, he didn't speak on the drive home. He did place his hand on my thigh comfortingly, and kept it there the entire ride home.

 When he killed the engine, I opened my eyes to see the giant house lit up in front of me, as usual.

There didn't seem to be anyone here tonight, but thought I'd ask, just in case.

 "Is there going to be a party or anyone here tonight?"

He shook his head, staring at me. "No, no party. There might be a couple of feeders here for the others but nothing major. You still wanna stay?"

He was telling me that the feeders might be girls that he had slept with. I could see the guilt in his eyes. I sighed.

"Yeah, of course I do." I climbed out of the car, and let Colby take my hand, since he was already standing there waiting on me.

 It was mostly quiet inside the house, except for the low throb of music coming from the kitchen area. Probably the garage. There was also some cursing and yelling coming from the TV room when we walked by.

 A couple of guys that I didn't recognize were sitting with the two girls that were by the pool with Colby the other night, playing some game on the PS4. The girls just giggled at the guys because they were acting like idiots. Honestly though, if I were playing, I would be acting like an idiot too, so I couldn't judge.

Colby pulled me past the room, probably hoping to avoid the girls seeing him after last time. We walked into the garage, and saw everyone there except Elton and Aryia.

 "Hey Chloe, didn't think we would see you back so soon." Jake said, throwing up his hand in greeting.

 I smiled at him, while Colby glowered. Everyone else chimed in their greetings and Colby pulled me down onto the bean bag with him. Kat was sitting with Sam in his bean bag, while Jake and Tara were sitting on a couple of camping chairs.

Devyn and Corey were sitting in a new bean bag on the other side of Colby's. When I caught Corey's eye, he grinned.

"That's right. Got my own Love Sac now." He growled and pretended to bite Dev's neck, while she giggled.

 I smiled as I watched them. They just seemed so carefree. As usual, Mike and Kevin were sitting on the couch.

"So Millie tried to attack Chloe at the coffee shop." Colby said, speaking loudly over everyone else.

 Guess that's one way to get everyone's attention. The talking stopped automatically and Sam stopped the music with the remote.

 "Seriously?" Mike asked, looking astonished.

"No Mike, I just wanted to fuck with you. YES Seriously! Why would I fucking joke about something like that? Christ." Colby rolled his eyes.

 I nudged him in the ribs.