191 (Colby's POV)

That wasn't an option right now. I felt my fangs shift, just as she gasped. My eyes must be trying to change.

Damn it. I closed them quickly, and held my breath, regaining control.

"Are you okay?" She whispered into the dark room, a little bit of fear in her voice.

I held my eyes closed just a little bit longer, making sure that everything was normal again before opening them.

"Yeah, I'm okay. Why?"

Her brows furrowed as she looked at me. "I thought I saw...never mind. So are you going to tell me what the accident was? Because you skipped over that when you replied a minute ago."

Damn...I was hoping she would let it go. I let out a breath and tried to think through my options.

What could I actually tell her without freaking her out too badly? The whole vampire thing wasn't gonna work.

"Did you read your story?" I asked, avoiding the question all together.

"Yeeahh, some of it. That's when the migraine started though. I started having flashes of...something, and it just hurt way worse than it ever has before. Do you think it's my memory trying to come back?" She asked hopefully.

"I think it's your memories definitely, but I don't think they're going to come back like that. If it hurts that bad, it's probably not a good idea to push it. The...circumstances that caused you to lose them in the first place has them blocked really well. If they keep trying to come back without help, then it could harm you. I don't want that to happen." I sighed again.

I needed to ask Aza about that.

Was it possible for her memories to come back without the ritual or would that do more harm than good, if I tried to make it happen? Fuck, but this was confusing!

"What circumstances is that?" She asked, again pushing me to tell her how she lost them in the first place.

"Wait...does that mean you believe that you lost your memories? That you believe what I'm telling you?" I asked hopefully.

She shrugged, and lay her head back down on my chest.

"I don't know. Maybe. Something isn't right, but then again, this feels right. How does this feel familiar? How am I perfectly okay, lying in this bed with an almost perfect stranger? And it feels normal? There's gotta be something to what you're telling me. Plus, I just feel like you care about me and that you're trying to help me." The last words she spoke, her voice got super low like she didn't want me to hear her.

Good thing I had super hearing.

"It's more than that." I replied. "I love you. You love me too. You haven't loved anyone like you love me. That's what you told me. You thought you loved your ex, until he broke your heart by sleeping with your college roommate. That's part of the reason why it hurt you so badly when...well, there was a party, and some girls that I used to mess around with. We had an argument and split up for a short while." She sucked in her breath. "What?" I asked, moving my hand up to run my fingers through her hair.

"I wrote that." She replied, her voice full of shock.

"Huh?" I asked.

"In my story. I wrote about that. The characters Cole and Zoe...they had a falling out because Cole didn't know how to keep the girls off of him or take up for her. She felt like she was losing herself and letting him get away with things, just like her old relationship so she ended it for a little while. Until she realized that she couldn't live without him." She looked back up at me, her eyes soft, but amazed. "You haven't read the story?" She asked skeptically.

I shook my head hard.

"No. You wouldn't let me. You wrote about that? What else did you write? Can I read it yet?"

She shook her head. "No. I don't let people read my work. If you're really my boyfriend, you should know that."

I rolled my eyes and groaned. "I do know that, but I was hoping a little memory loss might've changed it. You can't tell me that you actually wrote our experiences into it and not let me read it. That's just mean." I huffed out a breath, joking with her.

"When it's finished, you'll be the first one."

I didn't reply, because I was honestly shocked. She didn't know me, but here she was offering to let me read her work when she never let anyone read her work.

My dead heart swelled inside my chest.

"So, what about this Katherine girl? The one with the blue hair. She's Zoe's best friend in the story. Is that the girl that called me the other night?"

She started tracing something into my skin, the strip that was showing right below my shirt that was riding up. I wonder if she realized that she was doing that.

She always did that before...

"Yeah, her name is Katrina, or Kat. She's dating my best friend Sam. They're inseparable now. Really in love. You guys met in high school, where she was basically your only friend, even helping you with foster parents that weren't too nice. She cussed out the principal and a foster dad for you...oh and me. She cussed out me for you. She misses you."

She was quiet for another moment, processing that information I suppose.

"Is it okay if I go see her? Or if she comes to see me? Or will that mess up the whole memory thing? I'm not trying to give myself brain damage." She tried to make it sound like a joke but I could hear the fear and sadness in her voice.

It honestly hurt me so bad that I couldn't just...fix this. I wasn't used to caring about someone this much. Of course, I loved my friends, but Chloe...she was my entire world.

I couldn't stand to see her upset or hurting. Especially when I couldn't fix it automatically. That's okay though.

I would figure this out. I would get her back.