112

Jeff smiled at me as he let me take over dealing with the customers, and he set about making the drinks.

 "Sorry, traffic held me up a little."

"It's fine. I'm just glad you're feeling better."

 I smiled at him, and handed the man in front of me his change. "Yeah, I do. Thanks for understanding."

 He shrugged. "It's fine. We all get sick. Um," He looked down at the drink he was making. "Your boyfriend, Colby I guess. He said it was pretty bad. I was worried." He glanced at me and blushed a little. "I thought you told me that you guys weren't dating?"

 I handed the last customer her change, and turned towards Jeff. "We weren't when I told you that. Then we were, and now we-"

 I stopped.

 I was about to say that we weren't dating again but that wasn't technically true. We weren't together at the moment, but we hadn't broken up or anything.

I don't think...or did we? I was confused now. I remembered telling Colby that I couldn't do this.

Did that mean that I broke up with him? I started feeling nervous.

Did that mean that I had left him single, at that house with all those girls that wanted him? I mean, he had told me that he loved me, even after I said that...oh no. I did not have a good feeling about this.

 I hadn't heard from him at all. I honestly expected to have a text message or something from him when I got up but there was nothing.

 An image of him in the bed with Riley flashed in my mind. I know that he said that he couldn't feed on anyone but me, and that he couldn't have sex without feeding...but still.

Jeff handed the lady her drink, and turned towards me.

 "You're what?"

I shrugged and smiled. "We're good."

 I didn't feel right telling my boss that we had fought and were taking a small break. Especially when I could feel that he wanted me to tell him that we broke up.

Just as I suspected, his face fell when I answered.

 "Oh...well, that's good. He seems like an angry one. I'm pretty sure that he's the one that was with my girlfriend before she ghosted me. Remember the one that she cheated on me with?"

I nodded. "Yeah, I remember. If he is then it isn't really his fault, is it? She's the one that was unfaithful. How long has it been since you've heard from her?"

 He pursed his lips looking at me. "About a year now, I think. Can't be sure. I don't even try to get in touch with her anymore." He shrugged. "It is what it is, right?" He smiled, showing his dimples. "Besides, I'm sure there is someone out there far better for me, that won't cheat."

I nodded in agreement. "Exactly. You're better off. What was her name? I can ask him for you, if you really wanna know if it was him. I think you'll be better off not knowing to be honest but..." I trailed off.

I didn't really wanna ask Colby about that, and I wasn't even sure when I would speak to him again. I don't know why I suggested that. 

He stepped closer to me and put his hand over mine on the counter. It made me feel uncomfortable but I left it there, not wanting to be rude. He stared me in the eyes.

"Her name was Millie. She was really intense sometimes, but I loved her. You don't have to ask him. I know that will make you uncomfortable. I need to let it go anyways. But Seriously Chloe. This Colby guy," He shook his head. "I'm pretty sure that it was him. I won't ever forget that face. I found them together one night, right outside this cafe actually. He had her shoved up against the wall. At first, I thought he was attacking her or something, but then I could tell that she was very much a part of what was going on. I yelled at them, and Colby looked at me. His face was nothing but evil, and he was smiling at me sadistically. I even thought that I saw blood on his mouth."

 I gasped, putting my hand over my mouth. He shook his head and looked down.

"I don't know. It was dark and I was very upset. I was probably seeing things...his eyes even looked black. He just felt evil though. Like something wasn't right about him." He looked back up at me. "And you know Millie used to work here? He came by to visit her once...tore the place apart because she made him mad for some reason. This was after we broke up of course. I tried not to be here when she was here, for obvious reasons, but that day I was. He destroyed everything. I yelled at him again, telling him that I was going to call the cops. He didn't stop, so I called them. He was gone by the time they got here but I did file a report." He shrugged. "I guess nothing ever came from it. I just wanted to tell you...so that you would be careful around him. I don't think he's stable. I don't want you getting hurt."

 I removed my hand from under his. "I'll be fine Jeff. Colby wouldn't hurt me. That probably wasn't even him."

 I was never any good at lying. Didn't see that point usually...until now. My voice was shaky a little high pitched. Hell, even I wouldn't believe me.

 He stared at me for a moment then turned back to the counter wiping it down.

"Okay. I'm glad you think so. Just be careful. I don't think I could stand it if anything happened to you."

 I didn't reply, just stared at his back. This was getting a little intense.

 I heard a low growl, menacing, so I snatched my head up to look at the doors. There was no one there, but I could have sworn that I saw black Vans daring out of sight. I had a feeling that Colby was watching me just then, listening to my conversation. I would have to talk to him.

 He actually did have anger issues and jealousy issues. I didn't want him killing Jeff over a crush. Damn it.