Part 2) Chapter Thirty-Three

Start bij het begin

"Don't do anything reckless, okay?" Percy said in a hushed voice with a smile, his hand still on my arm.

I chuckled. "I know. Do you think something's gonna happen?"

Percy shrugged, his grip on my forearm loosening. "I just feel...different without you around with me. I feel like something bad will happen when you're not around me."

I rolled my eyes, "You're too overprotective, Percy," I muttered.

"Hey, it's better to care than not," Percy retorted, but the expression on his face showed that he immediately regretted it.

I looked off to the side, my vision unfocused. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, and I opened them to look at Percy's beautiful emerald green eyes.

I put a smile on my face. "Don't worry about me. I'm better now, right? And, it's all because of you."

Percy still looked unconvinced, but he returned the smile anyway. "Thanks, Nico, and sorry for saying that."

I shook my head. "You don't have to be. I know you didn't mean it."

Percy sighed in relief. "Thanks."

"You thank me too much," I remarked. "I should be the one to thank you."

"We're not going to have this argument again, are we?" Percy's tone held a teasing tone. "You need to go find Annabeth, you know."

"Yeah, see you around."

Percy's hand left my arm, leaving the spot where his hand was on my arm cold. "See you later," he said with a smile.

...

I went to the place where I predicted Annabeth to be. It was the place where I went before I knew Percy and Silena and everyone else. It was the place where someone desired to be alone. It was a place where someone wanted peace and quiet.

And, it was the place where someone was alone with only their thoughts.

I arrived at the field and looked around. I didn't know if Annabeth was here or not, because I seriously couldn't see anyone. But, I soon heard laughter come from the tree that I used to sit at.

I sneaked over to the tree to see if it was Annabeth or not, because I didn't want to disturb them if they weren't Annabeth. When I was about to peek behind the tree to see who was there, a hand grabbed the collar of my shirt and I was shoved into the tree.

I was momentarily confused, surprised, and shocked all the same. But, it all soon faded when my gazs settled onto blond hair, blue eyes, and a pale scar that started from the bottom of his left eye and went across his cheek.

"Luke," I growled.

"What do you want, huh?" Luke demanded harshly, shoving me into the tree again. "Trying to eavesdrop on me?" His voice became louder with each word he said.

"Luke, stop!" I heard a feminine voice demand.

I raised a curious eyebrow at Luke. He clenched his teeth in frustration and dropped his hand that held me by the collar of my shirt.

When he stepped to the side, my eyes instantly widened for however-many-times it happened. I lost count.

"Annabeth?!" I almost yelled.

"Hey, Nico." She looked completely ashamed, and I automatically felt guilty for almost yelling at her.

I was utterly speechless, so when I tried to form words, they were incoherent.

Annabeth fiddled with her fingers. "I know you must be angry at me for dating Luke."

"What?!" Okay, I admit, I yelled now.

"You have a problem with that?" Luke's cold and hard eyes were set on me. "I thought you didn't care about girls. Thought you were a queer."

"Luke," Annabeth warned, "I thought uouw said you were a better person now."

Luke visibly gulped, but he soon sighed. "What are you doing here?" His voice was so gentle, I could hardly believe that it was Luke.

"I want to talk to you," I directed at Annabeth, my shoulders relaxing now that I knew Luke wasn't going to attack me.

Annabeth looked mildly surprised "O-okay. Luke, I'll be right back."

He noddes and I led Annabeth a little bit away from Luke so that he wouldn't be able to hear our conversation from where he was standing.

"I'm guessing your over Percy now that you're with Luke," I surmised.

Annabeth gave a small smile. "Yeah, I guess so. I'm not completely over it, but I'll get better as time goes on."

I shoved my hands into my front jean pockets and I sighed deeply. "I guess that makes telling you this easier."

Annabeth arched an eyebrowm "What is it?"

"On Saturday night, Percy and I, we--uh." My cheeks flamed at the mere thought of it.

Annabeth softly laughed. "It was your birthday that day, right? You don't have to explain it."

"You're...not mad?"

Annabeth shook her head with a smile. "Of course not! I'm not in control of your relationship, you know. But, thanks for telling me instead of hiding it from me."

I nodded. "Yeah, I'm just really glad that you're smart and  I didn't have to explain the whole thing to you."

Annabeth laughed. "I would love to hear your explanation."

"No thanks!" I quickly denied.

Annabeth sighed contently. "So, I guess you're happy now, huh?"

I nodded once again. "Yeah, are you?"

Annabeth nodded with a bright smile. "I'm glad we're both happy and it's all settled."

I smiled, which Annabeth seemed to take a notice of. "Yeah, it's such a relief."

The bell rang to signal the end of lunch. I bid my farewells to Annabeth as I made my way to my next class.

I was glad that both of us were finally happy.