A Birthday to Regret

Start from the beginning

"If I'm not wrong you bumped into me while I was on my way and not the other way around."

At this point a few people had already gathered around the two of them.

"Are you saying that it was my fault? That I purposely fell on you." Einar scowled.

Callan opened his mouth to revert but he looked around himself and saw people taking interest in their conversation. He did not wanted any disorder today; not on his birthday. He knew he was right but to avoid any conflict he lowered his head in submission.

"Exactly what I thought." Einar snorted.

Among the people surrounding them were Marden, Tusker, Richard and Aldous. These boys belonged to respected families of the Alpha village. Like many in the pack, they detested Callan for being a non-shifter and unlike the other pack members they were vocal about it. They were of the opinion that Callan should be banished from the pack as he was not one of them. They degraded Callan on every chance they got.

"You don't cease any opportunity to cause trouble. Do you Ashton?" The tall blonde boy with sharp features said.

"It's not his fault Tusker. He's a loner and therefore he wants all the attention to himself." Aldous said derisively.

"But he always gets away after putting our future Alpha in trouble. Remember the last time when Einar was confined in his room for a week. It was all thanks to this spastic." This time it was Richard's turn to speak.

Callan was agitated and equally pained at the offensive words used against him. Einar did sense Callan's dejection but he felt powerless at the moment. If he stood by Callan, people would doubt his motives and on the other hand if he hurts any of these boys, the pack could get suspicious of his behavior. His father would be angry and may even punish him.

He tried to pacify the situation. "It's aright Richard; the boy will not hurt me again. He knows better."

Einar hoped that the boys would understand and back off. Instead he saw hatred and mischief in their eyes when Marden spoke. "It may be alright for you but we won't let the offender go scot free. This guy has an enormous pride for supposedly being the 'best' in combats, that's the reason he considers everyone below him including our future Alpha. He thinks he can outsmart us. He needs to learn a lesson. He must apologize to Einar Traditionally." Marden spoke venomously ever so slow.

There was silence everywhere. Callan was shocked at the statement. A traditional apology was outright humiliation. It was a stab to his honor. Even if he wanted to he knew he should not do this as his conscience would never forgive him. He was shattered from within. He looked around for support but it was futile. The onlookers agreed with Marden in unison as for them the Alpha was their leader, he should be regarded with utmost respect. As a future alpha Einar should've been respected.

"I think you are blowing the matter out of proportion Marden. I have already apologized. What else can I do?" Callan pleaded his case.

"We have already told you what you must do. Mere uttering the words mean nothing, you should beg for forgiveness and endure it. Even Einar agrees with us." Aldous looked at Einar who was holding back his anger and frustration for what was going on. He wanted to save the boy badly but he was conscious enough and knew that every effort he makes towards the boy will garner suspicion from others. With a heavy heart Einar nodded and reluctantly agreed to the punishment.

"You are at fault here Callan. Just take your punishment and leave." Einar was ashamed for every word he said. He was in pain. He knew it was his fault but peer pressure around him was urging him to part ways with the boy.